kate5kiwis: sunshine mugs

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Friday, July 17, 2009

sunshine mugs

the other day i found these little mugs at the op shop for fifty cents each, and immediately fell in love with them - they were originally made in nelson, where some of our family tree make their home, and they have a lovely potter's stamp on the bottom. i cannot believe that people threw these tiny cuties away - they look perfect for a fairy party of dandelion tea and homemade raspberry jam scones.

in the absence of either, i decided on Katie's Roasted Winter Veggie Soup. so last night, while making dinner, Danny and i chopped up extra vege and placed it all on a baking tray:
two onions, peeled and quartered
half a large pumpkin, peeled and chopped into eight pieces
six carrots, topped and tailed (but not peeled!)
two parsnips (same)
a lovely swoosh of deliciously green extra virgin olive oil from hawkes bay drizzled over all the veggies - mmmmm.
followed by a good grinding of salt/kaffir lime leaves/sundried tomatoes (Bulldog keeps bringing this sorta stuff home when he goes shopping)
roast it for about an hour and then leave it all in the oven to nearly cool (while ya eat dinner accompanied by the usual family hilarity)

i have a thing for leeks in soup. here's the trick. chop into warming olive oil, get it started, cook for a few mins, then tuck it all under a lid, turn off the heat and walk off and leave it to cook itself for ten minutes! (perfect when procrastinating writing an essay!)

now: find a few extra roasted poh-tay-tohs that weren't eaten at dinner and chuck the lot into the pressure cooker, add water, let it squeal, cook ten minutes. leave overnight without touching it to let the flavours develop (or cook in the usual huge stockpot until tender, then pop the lid on).

just before lunchtime the next day, inbetween essay takes, whizz it with the magic wand, adding extra water (unless you prefer baby food consistency, which i do).

pour into delectable, mouthful-sized mugs...

be delighted when resident daughter says... "oh, my gosh, this is amazing! did you use poh-tay-tohs? i think that makes all the difference."

(the best thing is, there's a perfect excuse for a refill - there are only two sips in each mug!)

ohk, back to the essay now X

9 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

When I saw those mugs my first thought was: mead. Lots of mead.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Reluctant Blogger said...

Even now I just cannot get to grips with the fact that you are in a different season.

I thought you had gone bonkers.

"Why is Kate making winter soup in summer?" my stupid brain was saying.

But they are very nice. And yes, Steve is right - mead!!!

Are you going to announce your immense clevertude on here? I think you should. Otherwise I will be tempted to say something myself!!

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yummy! I'm going to make this for the Friday Family, but it will be 'summer' soup! :)

I totally adore those mugs! I had a find like that at an op shop a little bit ago. Six gorgeous sunshiney yellow bowls that looked like Anthropologie bowls. They make me smile.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of winter right now - it's about 90* and drippy sticky here today :)

Those mugs were definitely made for you - so glad you happened upon such fun treasure!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Jen and family said...

yum!!!!

and they remind me of Temuka only been there once mind you

come visit me at my new blog babe

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Jolie said...

ooooh winter soup...almost makes freezing your rear off worth it!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

ooo look, there's something shiny over there! Mate, I am constantly amazed at how you find little treasures and fill them with love, and at the same time you are recharging your creative batteries and giving yourself a break from the intensity of study... I love it! Keep swimming Dory girl xxx

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh- I love these empty and then full mmm I want some soup!
I could imagine these with cute little daisies inside them or even some buttercups! - pansies too - you see now everything is the perfect vase!

Love you x

6:53 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

That soup is the business! I think even I could manage that? Maybe. I'm not very good at soup and peeps have been known to discreetly wash it down the sink. Hmmm.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home