kate5kiwis: refabriKATEd

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

refabriKATEd

my wardrobe is full of jeans and singlet tops and a few tshirts and two hoodies. which is probably why mick's teacher looked aghast/aghastly/whatever at me yesterday when i 'fessed i am heading for forty - she thought i was thirty. *grin*

maybe my wardrobe needs to grow up? not my katie-is-a-mummy wardrobe, or my katie-is-a-student wardrobe: my katie-is-a-teacher wardrobe. cos i'll be needing one of those soon enough, and there is currently a sum total of one seventies hippie dress and one sunflower skirt, both of which fit me in odd places and not in even places, if ya know what i mean.

enter last night's 90-minute-skirt moment. yep, that's an hour and a half from go to woah. i started with my favourite vintage sheet.
i cut out a semi-circle and a dropped waistband sash thing and two ties. kind of like an apron then. actually i cut a pattern off this skirt that nik had bought recently.
i'll say that again - *i* cut a pattern off something!!!

and i didn't faff it up. i even managed to ninja the circular hem. all by my onesies. ohk, with a late-night-text to my sewing fairy.

but wait, there's more!!!!!
(oh how i LOVE *two for the price of one* deals)
not only is this a skirt, it's about eleventy billion dresses too!
talk about yer instant wardrobe.

12 Comments:

Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Creating something is always fun. The skirt looks mahvelous!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

lovely skirt you clever lady u and I LOVE the shoes too

jen http://romans1513.wordpress.com/

2:43 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

Oh I noticed you in it today, wished I commented, but it looked gorgeous dol, replikate it eleventy billion times and you'll be sussed for ages xx

PS Ben Button was cute, moving and completely the best for a rainy day - being 3 hours and all, totally get your cash worth xx

5:16 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Oh aren't you clever! I'm totally in love with it... and look at your skinny smooth brown legs peeking elegantly out the bottom! So stylish and gorgeous and perfectly you xxx

6:37 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Plainly you are a genius in the material world!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

What a fantastic idea, AND it turned out so beautifully, too :) I love it!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you're so gifted aunty :D

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh I've got some of those sheets! But if I tried to turn them into a skirt - well, they would look nothing like that.

You have fab legs. Oops sorry!

You do look very young. Enjoy it. I wear the "wrong" clothes too. Polka dots aren't very grown up.

No-one here wears black - I only really wear black and white (mostly spots, sometimes stripes) so I think I look a bit odd. I do have a few burnt orange things - love that colour.

What do you do to me - first I prattle on about hair, and now clothes. I am SO ungirly really!

Maybe you could make me a skirt???

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Great job!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your style!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome skirt that you can do so many things with! I love it! Was it really a vintage sheet? I am humbled by your craftiness! :) And it looks dang good on you too!

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did such a great job!! I love that you used vintage fabric.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home