kate5kiwis: francais friday

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Friday, August 04, 2006

francais friday

katie and the sunflowers

I've had a love-affair with van Gogh ever since I was a little girl and my Dad used to sing Starry Starry Night with me. Two years ago, I made a skirt with five of van Gogh's sunflowers (one for each of my babies) sewn into it.


So when we arrived at the Musee D'Orsay last month, I was ecstatic to find this


and this


and this


and I was standing just a few inches away...
breathing the same air...

4 Comments:

Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

That skirt idea is so cute! Well done! My sister painted her bedroom inspired by Monet's Water Lilies, with blue walls, water lilies around the top of the wall and blue sky and clouds on the ceiling. Wonder what a Starry Night room or ceiling would look like. Peaceful for sleeping, maybe!

van Gogh is not my favorite painter, but growing up in an artistic household (father is a graphic designer, my sister is now an art teacher) certainly exposed me to plenty of art! I think I felt the same way as you when I saw Las Meninas at the Prado in Spain. Or when I saw stuff in Germany I'd seen pictured in my art history books in college. Like Nefertiti or the Ishtar gate.

"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms." - Sherlock Holmes

9:53 AM  
Blogger sweetpea said...

the skirt is so sweet!

I loved the Musee D'Orsay....his paintings are so full of life and energy.

1:53 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

barb
you are so inspiring.. i love that quote. and i can't wait to get to spain.. and germany... one day :o)

unfortunately, we didn't get to L'Orangerie, where monet's water lilies are. i would *love* a bedroom like your sister's.. i think it may be a bit much for hubby tho *wink*

sweetpea
yes, i think that the musee d'orsay would be close to my favourite place in paris. there was such a wonderful feeling in there. and in notre dame. a feeling of being connected to the whole of history. so inspiring. quite spiritual, in a good way.

4:44 PM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

I've been to Paris a few times and never made it to teh Musée d'Orsay, whaaaaaaa, and for an impressionist fan like myself its rough. So thanks for a glimpse into it. AND LOVE your skirt!

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home