kate5kiwis: swoosh

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

swoosh

so, if you were ten and doing twice a week pre-season training sessions for your hockey team and you had beaucoup de stuff which you kept "misplacing", and so your friend's mum brought her fabric stash around to your mum and suggested a hockey bag and your mum gathered all her creative brain cells and together you dreamed up this:
which fits your hockey stick and has two extra pockets with metal army zips for your mouthguard, spare socks, shin pads, hockey ball, drink bottle, and other beaucoup de stuff... and it even matches your team's hockey strip... which is a camouflage tshirt and black shorts/socks... and then your mum burned the midnight oil layering fabric three-thick and triple stitching and zig-zag edging (it's called Samproofing - that's the bona fide technical term) and and lining it with slidey black fabric and even *swooshing* it because that's evah-so-important when you're ten and Totally-With-It,
would you love it? would you show it off to every unsuspecting person you meet? would you glue it to your back all day? would you even take it to bed?
yes, i think you would.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

absolutely!

such a good mama

8:40 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

What a lucky ten-year-old.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Carnies said...

Wow dol, you leave me out in the cold - that is totally *FAB*, if I could spin the world on it's head, I'd wish for you as my mum! big Mwah

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preseason training? Did he make the Olympics and you forgot to tell me? Or did sport just get a whole lot more serious these days? Love that he is still enjoying it.
Bag is freakin' brilliant. Can I say freakin? I mean, um, very brillant.
Miss you, your comment made me cry today. xxxx

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous job! And yes, I would so take it to bed with me, or very close at least. You are remarkable.

And I am assuming you don't mean Ice Hockey as our Hockey bags are so much bigger than that.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captial "O" for oar-some, lol.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

That bag is just fantastic. Your post made my heart swell up and my eyes tear up. Lucky boy and boy's mom.

Will you be my momma?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

swoosh
of course you would

9:07 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

I would totally sleep with it.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

That is totally cool!!!! You are so creative. I just gripe about the hockey stuff all over my front hall.. you actually solved the problem! Thanks so much for the inspiration.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

O.M.G... that is the COOLEST hockey bag I have ever seen! I had a young man design and sew his own last term but he would be drooling over that one. We had a few wee difficulties... next time someone wants to make a hockey bag I am outsourcing and sending them STRAIGHT to you.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son would love that. He will only wear camouflage trousers - no other trousers at all. So a bag like that would just make his decade. Well, except he'd want a ski bag not a hockey one.

8:15 AM  
Blogger The Rubbish Project said...

I would like to say that this coolness others ascribe to ya is totally due to me (you forgot to mention this!!!).. and our history way back to when we were 12 in the loo round the back of F Block next to K block (9 years ago...) ... so get the story STRAIGHT next time y'all

(you just still miss your hockey days IIIIIII know!... lovely crisp early morning practices and games up on that field in the fog?!)

I miss you, thats all i know

~ the der
PS but the bag is waaaaaaaay cool. Really giggled so cute.... abbs is making clothes out of coke labels thats how cool we are - and I been saving hundreds of Lipton teabag labels cos they be cute...should i send you some used teabag labels?!!)

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG GOOd mAMA!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Way cool SWOOSH!! It's a totally great bag. You rock, Kate!

7:29 AM  
Blogger JessTrev said...

What a lucky kid, I am so glad that CenterDownLaura told me about this cool bag. Maybe I can work up to sports bags as my kid grows! Right now I am only up to a tiny art journal-sized bag made out of old jeans. But I am so groovin' on this idea...I have a designated soccer and ballet junk *spot* but may need to whip something up. Inspiring!

3:57 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Yes!! Awesome bag!!!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

By the way - TAG!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home