kate5kiwis: Flower Child

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Flower Child

A few months ago, Woozie put her arm around me and asked, a little concernedly, if I minded that her girlfriends refer to me as "hippie".
My first decade was spent in the flowery seventies. I have many sunshiney memories of my mother bedecked in paisley and wooden buttons and long floral skirts. I am steadfastly holding onto my childhood, searching out flared jeans instead of skinnies; refusing to buy oversized fluoro-printed tshirts and black leggings in favour of chocolate brown floaty tops and strappy wedge-heeled sandals.

My mum is an unashamed hoarder. She has stashed all her hippie-gears in the downstairs' wardrobe in my childhood home.

During a newsy email a fortnight ago, Mum nonchalantly announced that she had finally bundled up her seventies florals and packed them in the boot of the car, ready to be shipped to The Americas the drama teacher at school.
*ack!*
I clambered back onto my chair and hastily replied her email, insisting that she save me a couple of speshal pieces. Last weekend, they arrived.
My favourite flower-child dress. *yes*, I can remember Mum wearing this! and *yes*, I wore it all day yesterday, out in public. and i LOVE it!!!

There's also a Vintage Black Petticoat, originally from Mum's trousseau, assembled prior to her wedding in the sixties. It fits me perfectly, so has just become my new Little Black Dress. All I need now is a Ball Ticket and a fairy wand.

6 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Oh there you go, you hippie chick! What a mahvellous dress, divine - no oner ou wore it all day. I love clothes that connect us to happy memories... I have been buying vintage patterns lately simply because they're patterns Mum used for my church dresses when I was little. Good times.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks good - well, you look good is what I mean.

My mother has heaps of old stuff but other than her wedding dress which I did wear to get married in (had to refrain from eating for about 10 weeks before so I could breathe whilst wearing it!) she won't let me have any of it. She just got out a pile of old shoeboots from the 70s and I have to say she looks well swish in them.

The petticoat sounds wonderful - much more my sort of thing. I am not keen on patterned clothes (other than polka dots) - I like them on others but not on me!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Just look at you! You cool Hippie Momma, you!

Is that what we used to call a "maxie"? Or is it a "middie"? :)

I graduated from high school in 1977, so I had some way-cool outfits of my own. My sister and I had soft corduroy "hot pants" outfits that my mom made us -- mine was purple, Andy's peacock blue. We wore them with our granny boots. !! And -- pre-contacs -- granny glasses!

My maxie dress was a brightly colored paisley pattern. You could see me coming, that's for sure. I remember a purple fuzzy purse with a yellow smiley button on it. Ah, yes. Then there were my mini skirts ...

You look lovely, Kate, but it's just as well that my stuff is lost to the ages. It would frighten my children to see me in it now.
xxx :)

10:16 PM  
Blogger Lutheran Lucciola said...

That dress looks perfectly in style right now for California! It's fitted nicely, and not like a sack as some of the peasant dresses are.

Keep wearing it!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

That dress is to die for, and, in my mind, the label hippie transcends fashion and is more directly related to a state of mind. The best kind.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Nikki Elisabeth said...

Meee toooooo Kate! I love hippified dresses. You look gorgeous in that one.

I maintain that the hippy look will come back... I refuse to buy into the skinny legged jeans craze. Mostly because my childbearing hips are not so flattered in that look.
xoxoxox

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home