kate5kiwis: i think i was a mermaid in a previous life.

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

i think i was a mermaid in a previous life.

our surf beach
is our favourite playground.
something magic happens
in the instant
our toes kiss the sand.
i'll never tire of this place.
the biggest decision is how many shells to take home. i often find myself humming one of Phil's songs as treasures are sought and gathered:
we searched for shells on the beach.
we did it every year.
we carried them back home,
to make the beach feel near.
it's the wild, fragrant, salt-filled air of the bubbly shoreline that continues to inspire me, earth me, enable breath.

7 Comments:

Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

good shots
I LOVE the beach too
dont get there enough
Jen

4:50 PM  
Blogger oacemama said...

Missed ya on Monday...coming back to the land of the living today.

Love that line from Phil's song too.

Now I cannot figure if that is you or R with the boys????

8:27 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

karen
so glad to hear you're feeling better!!!
that's Woozie... but get this:
*cue spooky music*
we both wore identical clothes today: yep, matching black tops and jeans.
when we caught sight of each other, we burst out laughing!!!
love that.
ah, so quirky X

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, I feel we are twins separated by Oceans. You and I both love the beach so much and are inspired and rejuvinated by it. Thanks for the photos.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Perfect antidote to the rubbish day we're having here, I knew the weather would finally break! Love the beach photos, I spent all my summers at a beach near ChCh. My parents farmed way inland but Dad would take us to the beach with tents and then leave us there for 6 weeks, coming and going in between harvesting and haymaking. You're so lucky having it on your back doorstep.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH me too! I actually NEED the beach I think. I don't think I could ever live far from the sea. It is the one thing I really really miss about leaving Wales - we could walk to the beach in 10 mins there, and here it is a half an hour drive.

The beach in Aber at sunset in the summer was a magical place. Oh dear, I feel all piney now!!!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

These pics are just beautiful, Kate. You and that sweet Woozie have enviable long, long legs. (Stumpy, muscly ones here.)

My husband is the beach lover in our family. I'm for home and for autumn in the Virginia mountains, but give Mark an ocean horizon.

Poor sweetie, he (we) bought a lovely acre of land on the wide Rappahannock River several years ago. It had a nice sand beach and, while it wasn't the ocean, it was near the ocean. Mark so loved taking the boys and their bikes and swimming stuff there. Then, neighbors started buying and building on adjoining land and the place began to look like suburbia. Uck. They took down the big, old grandmother tree between our properties. Sob. We looked silly camping on our land between the three-story houses, and the little cabin we were thinking of building would have been so out of place. Dumb neighbors.

We sold the land at a nice profit to another suburbanite, but I wishwishwish that Mark could have his piece of the water somewhere.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home