kate5kiwis: King of the Road

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Monday, May 05, 2008

King of the Road

When I was rather a wee lass, my dad had a motorcycle. He would spend weekends "fixing" it so that he could get to work during the week without mishap. All the neighbourhood kids loved Dad's Fix-It Weekends. They'd magnetise to our garage mid-afternoon to play Test-The-Bike-Out and we'd all take turns donning the extra helmet and clambering on the back as Dad roared off up the road, flying like a silver bullet, turning around at the top of the road and then flying home down the hill. It was exhilarating, I swear we topped speeds of thirty kilometres an hour! My brother shared The Motorcycle Gene, acquiring a bike and leather racing suit during his teenage years.
That suit has recently resurfaced from the downstairs' wardrobe, and has already been claimed by the next generation. I'm hoping S10 will get The Motorbike Gene completely out of his system by the time he's a teenager...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha!
Not likely with that lad. Clutch your rosary tightly now.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

My DH is 40... something ish... and he still hasn't grown out of that gene. In fact, he's infected the whole family with it!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

i can imagine how popular that suit would be
Katie Ive never been a motorcycle
Jen

6:47 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

More apron strings to cut, Kate. I feel for you!

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Hubby and I both drove motorcycles, what can I say to J when he tells me he wants to ride too? I told him he had to wait until he was 18 and he had to take the test. Hubby says never in his lifetime. I had to remind him that his Dad said that too and so did mine...

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home