kate5kiwis: i *heart* aprons

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Monday, May 26, 2008

i *heart* aprons

I think I first fell in love with personalised pressies when I was about four and my brother was two and cute and boodgey and golden-curly-haired, and a family friend (can you remember who it was, Mum?) popped around to our place with two exquisite, handmade child-sized aprons.

Greg's was brown gingham and very manly, and mine was blue-and-white with a heart-shaped bodice and a heart-shaped pocket and a twirly skirt. The most beautiful thing was that they both had our names handstitched on in red letters. Of course I still have it.

I don't know if I ever did any cooking in my apron, but I sure did a lot of twirling.

When those two beautifully personalised aprons arrived, something was etched firmly into my psyche about present-making and gift-giving, so much so that I still can't shake it.

I've been doing a spot of apron-making myself this week, getting my *apron swap* ready for early June, when a few hundred aprons will dance their way around the world.
Here she is, the STRAWBERRIES-AND-CREAM APRON:

for Mabel, who I've never met, never chatted to, but I know you *heart* bright colours. And I hope you *heart* strawberries too. To me, hot, sun-filled, pick-your-own strawberries are the epitome of summer.

and it's even got your name on it.
I hope you *heart* that too.
mwah X

8 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Oh how did you do the name... I LOVE the name.

10:01 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

flossygirl
ah, the name was kinda complicated.
the *blonde* instructions go something like this:
firstly i printed off the letters in mirror image using word art on Bulldog's pooter.
then i taped the paper to the window and taped a sheet of vliesofix to the paper. looking through the vliesofix i could see the letters, which i traced with a pencil onto the paper side of the vliesofix.
then i ironed the vliesofix to the wrong side of the red fabric, and carefully snipped the letters out.
i peeled off the vliesofix (tricky word to spell, that!) paper and ironed the cream-and-berries fabric onto the back, and then i proceeded to edge the letters with a tiny red running stitch, which you can see if you click on the photo (but i am still coveting hay's nikon D40X.)
wow, got all that?
mwah X

10:33 PM  
Blogger JessTrev said...

Oh my goodness, i will never graduate to doing letters, after that commentary. But I heart your apron and your post! My grandmother used to embroider all over these gingham and chambray cowboy shirts for us when we were little -- they were the *coolest*! With our names, and little strawberries (on mine) and flowers and whatever you loved (soccer balls and cowboys and lizards for my brothers). I love that you are appropriating your past.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babe, I saw this last night. And it made me, who detests all things 'homemakerish', covet on of those babies!
Awesome! You are the bees knees.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

i like your apron

and thats one beautiful one you made
wtg girl

jen

6:03 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

mamabird
wow, i am actually looking forward to being a grandma (one day!) and doing all those sweetie things for my grandies. yes, funny how we revisit our childhood in our thirties. and of course, i keep promising to download my blog into a book for my kids, to keep family stories alive.
must. do. that.
mwah X

hay
woah, must be impressive then rofl.
love ya
mwah X

jen
oh thanks so much, i know red is one of your fave colours!!!
i had such fun making it...
mwah X

8:22 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

I loved reading your description of the letter process. Wow! You are amazing! I don't usually wear an apron, but your passion for them has made me think about wearing one. Bet I can't find as pretty and special an apron, but I guess that'll be okay, 'cause I will probably spatter it with stuff right off.

We're in the middle of a Super Happy Fun Day here. I'm so out of the blogging loop these days. Waving "hi" to peoples I recognize here! Sorry I've been AWOL. See you soon! xxxooo Laura

7:28 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

laura
yeah, missing ya.
*waves hi and grabs bread and cake and aprons and leaps on a plane to make it to S.H.F.D.*
mwah X

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home