kate5kiwis: On the Twenty Second Day of Christmas

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Monday, December 22, 2008

On the Twenty Second Day of Christmas

it really is The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year.

well, firstly it's SUMMER - my favourite season - every day there's endless sunshine - long, hot days and everyone is so HAPPY. Bulldog and the kiddos are home and there's no frantic dashing to daily events - time slows to its Should-Be pace and there's a sort of instant permission for a siesta instead.

family gathers and disperses and and gathers again - the advent chocolate eating ritual takes on a kind of hysteria as the realisation of santa's imminent arrival makes instant mathematicians of the least mathsy kinda kid.

(i do chuckle about Santa-hysteria at our place though - cos he leaves things like an orange, a banana, a new toothbrush and a chocolate Santa - no Nintendo Wiis arrive overnight here lol. i think it's just the wonderful surprise factor of That Stocking Was Empty And Now *magically* It's Bulging!!! sorta thang.)

everyone winds right down and spends time singing and gazing at fairy lights, and wonderful things like strawberries and bubbles and exotic drinks appear, borne by muscly cocktail waiters who also load the dishwasher and wipe the bench after themselves...
ohk, hallucination is over... maybe not the dishwasher and kitchen bench then, but it's beer o'clock as soon as siesta is over.

little plans begin to be hatched for long summer days, for friends arriving, places to go camping over the summer, and weather-patterns are being watched like a hawk. wonderful childhood Christmas Story books are re-produced and pored over, and pressies are smuggled into the house and ceremoniously wrapped and hidden underneath unsuspecting other pressies.

and there is this Magical Wonder All Around - at our place, for sure.
how's it going at yours??
mwah X

10 Comments:

Blogger LeighLeigh said...

I am trying my hardest to find my Christmas spirit - I had it a couple of weeks ago, but I'm wondering whether I left it in the delivery ward by accident!!
We do however have christmas music playing 24/7, and the fairy lights are shinning throughout the day and night. All the presents have been wrapped - but due to two VERY EXCITED wee girls, they have been hidden away and wont be out till Christmas Eve.
Also - and maybe this is the issue....Grant has banned me from teaching the kids to count sleeps correctly - he thinks they are bouncing off the walls enough and I don't have to add fuel....so sadly Ems just told me there are 2 sleeps till Christmas - when really we know there are actually none!
Love you
Leighxx

4:50 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

leighsie
i *know* your christmas spirit will return - you are the most christmassy chick in my world!!!!!!!
in the meantime - here - have some of mine.
and even though the girlies don't know how many sleeps 'til christmas - you'n'i know - which ...doesn't sound too bad. I'll try to stay awake.
luff u too X

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have loved reading your days of Christmas posts. the spirit seems to be lacking here. not completely missing, just well, dull. but I'm working on that. I have like a day and 1/2 to get it together!!

this is our first tropical Christmas and I think the warm weather has put a bit of a damper on it...

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, i know of a good lake for camping over summer ;)

we are alll about the christmas spirit here this year. and the sunburn. and the long days spent living at the lake and the park. and the stollen and the candy canes. booyah.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Henry is REALLY excited and informed me he's getting an XBox 360 for Christmas. Oo I don't think I can afford one of those I said. Sokay mummy he said, you don't have to worry. I asked Santa for it.

How to explain that our Santa is like yours with the oranges and cereals and new toothbrushes.

So I said I thought Santa preferred little boys to be riding new bikes around in the fresh air, not going mouldy inside. He wasn't convinced ;-)

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're having great fun here.

I was thinking all envious thoughts about your weather but actually I think if I had good weather too it would all be a bit too much. Can't be getting TOO happy after all - that wouldn't be me!

But I do envy you the weather. It's nice here - being all cosy inside but I really miss the sunshine. Like you I am a sunshine girl. If the sun's out I am happy.

But I am happy. It's nice to have everyone home and not to be rushing about and to be drinking Gluhwein and oh I dunno, it's just nice.

Ooops I used "nice" rather a lot there!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

"SUMMER - my favourite season" - mine too :)
except its raining

I thought about that stocking thing yesterday
this year My Home Schooler and I have been reading the Little House on the Prairie books. They were so content with what they got and it too was basic stuff. I think I may follow in yours and their style. Also means that it wont cost me a lot to do and I really have spent enough on stuff from me for the boys.

Thanks Kate. I shall have to remember when I go and get the lunch stuff today for tomorrow :0

My Home Schooler isnt feeling well today - poor young man - he got upset as he thinks hell spoil Christmas day. Hes spending the day in bed in the hopes hell be feeling better tomorrow.

Tonight Mr Wonderful and Our Little Man are going on a special bus (Our Little Mans first ride in a bus) to look at Christmas Lights.

Since Im going to be home with the poor sick young man Ill be watching the movie Ballet Shoes - I read the book when I was a girl :)

Merry Christmas to you our lovely Katie

jen

10:13 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

It might be interesting having Christmas in the summer. It'd be weird, though. Kinda lacking a little Christmas spirit around here. Still hoping to have a nice holiday.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

Merry Christmas Kate and fam!

6:28 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

monica
i'm so glad to have shared a teensy bit of inspiration! do ya know, i've never had a snowy christmas? i think i'd love it!!! happy christmas X

bootiful s.b.
my mum used to make stollen (during her German-teaching years) - i'm not a marzipan lover, but i love the bready-bits!
love the buzz at your place!!!
happy christmas X

flossy
oh i love henry! he has *sparkle*! can't wait to meet up IRL! happy christmas X

r.b.
i do love the idea of SNOWING IN and gluhwein (i think i have the accent right? lol) and candles and roaring fire. one day i shall enjoy a White Christmas.
happy christmas X

jen
best GET WELL wishes to your lovely lad - i hope the others had a magical bus ride.
Little House on the Prairie really inspired a lot of our love of keeping traditions simple too.
happy christmas X

barb
sending you LOVE, JOY and PEACE *right now!* -
light those candles, turn up the music and DANCE!!!!!!
happy christmas X

mrs.g.
thanks so much - back atcha - and loads of sunshine too!!!
happy christmas X

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home