kate5kiwis: On the Nineteenth Day of Christmas

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Friday, December 19, 2008

On the Nineteenth Day of Christmas

i sometimes wonder if it's easy for all these peeps who live at our place to get "lost" amongst the others - every day it's my goal to make eye contact with, say good morning to, share smiles and sleepy hugs with every beautiful person here - to start the day with love.

sometimes, at the end of the day, when i ask Bulldog that inevitable question, "How was your day?" he looks at me wearily and replies, "It was a day." which is code-speak for, "Nothing fabulously marvellous happened, but... I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together." (jokes, that's a song lyric)

as i was thinking about this Days Of Christmas journalling sequence and the *twerky ning nong* idea it was to do it during the crazy season, i couldn't remember anything fabulously marvellous that happened today - and then i thought about this beautiful quote which has been in my blog sidebar for well over two years and which still sings to me -

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days
are not those on which anything splendid
or wonderful or exciting happens
but just those that bring simple little pleasures,
following one another softly,
like pearls slipping off a string."
L. M. Montgomery (Anne of Avonlea)

and there were lots of pearls today -
this morning when i awoke and ran around kissing everyone, Bulldog drifted into the kitchen and emerged with beautiful breakfasts of bagels with cream cheese and (ham for those who like it) portabello mushrooms and fried tomatoes and a divine poached egg (Olly The Chef has told The Secrets Of The Perfect Poached Egg to Bulldog) - and espresso - two espressos.

i brainstormed with Woozie about a ball dress she is intent on designing, and oohed and aahed over the wee top she's making from pink two-dollar-fabric - and talked her through the overlocker meltdown.

while i made hummus, Charlie cut thick long chunks of cucumber and carrots to dip, and ferreted out strawberries and other delectable delights to take picnicking. he bamboozled me with one of his latest ideas to halt global warming while i made intelligent-blonde (that is not an oxymoron thankyouverymuch) listening noises.

Sam snuck up for a few cuddles and twinked and rewrote a note to a young friend cos he's about to pass on the guitar-love to the next person.

we had a wonderful trip to the park with our Friday Friends, and there was bubbly, and laughter, and much sunshine.

we ate a late dinner of fresh pasta alla pomodoro (which translates as whang courgettes and mushies in the wok, open two tins of tomatoes, bubble bubble, cook the pasta and fling the pomodoro sauce on top)

i wrapped up a h-u-g-e pile of new socks and popped them under the tree - yes - this year *The Sock Fairy* is ahead of the game - everyone will be able to find their socks on Christmas morning!

Mick and i and the lads watched "Elf" on the telly and i marvelled again at childhood wonder and belief in all things magical.

Danny and i had a lovely moment in The Bat Cave, he serenading me evah-so-quietly with a song from a French CD from last year and then we had a wee convo en français.

i got a word in Bulldog's cryptic crossword, cos i'm getting clever like that.

so - The Nineteenth Day of Christmas?
it was a day.
but like every other day - there were "simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
i love that.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice thoughts....

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you are right - the best days are the ordinary days. My boys worked that out years ago. If I ask them what they want to do in the holidays they say they just want to do "normal things".

I am much better these days at focusing on the little things that are good and I resist organising too many events or trying too hard.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beeutiful

*mwah*

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the simple and ordinary days ARE the best. I wish you many more pearls! :)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Oh, sweet, sweet, sweet. One of my favorite posts of yours ever. And a good reminder to conect with loved ones during this hurried, flurried time.

The kids and I spent yesterday packing and cleaning, and I had a "why isn't anyone helping me" meltdown. It's kind of like some big hand shook our peaceful little snow globe here with this moving thing. I am having some trouble finding my balance, my center. So, reading about your simple pearl of a day was calming and restorative, Kate. Thanks, sweetie. xxxooo :)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Antipo Déesse said...

Every time I pop over to your "place", I leave again feeling inspired and also thinking "God, how DOES she do it?!"

I am lucky to know you Lovely Lady.

xxxx

2:10 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I love how you think, Kate :) I agree, simple and sweet is by far the best way to live..

2:08 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

thanks so much everyone for all your love - sorry am rather rushed to reply - we're christmassing lol!
big loves from me to you! X

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

Oh my gosh... this is a beautifully dreamy post... once again you have inspired me doll, I love the way you put into words the simple things that are so special - it is such a gift xx

Im back from holiday and catching up on your blog post is like reading my fav magazine! By the way, it arrived today - the latest NEXT - and it has a French Theme this month. I will bring it over and we can have a nibble and a bubble in your secret garden xx

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home