kate5kiwis: kids in the kitchen

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

kids in the kitchen

well, it's hard to believe, but we've been sticking to our plan for nearly six weeks now: there are kids in the kitchen four days a week and *i'm* the assistante, rather than the other way around... and we are loving it. we've had loads of mince, and potato wedges, and pasta, and soup, and Samburgers, and Little Pies, and Singstar Sushi, Rainbow Risotto, and even a couple of Roasts.

today, J12 is making
Pumpkin Soup (very like this one) and Rosemary (cos that's about the only thing left in the garden) Sciaciatta, which (the recipe book says) is a flat bread from Italy that is pressed down with the fingers to create air holes in the bread, making it great for dunking...

now then,
sciaciatta. does anyone know how to pronounce that word? cos The Little Italian Mamma Voice in my head is saying "cha-cha-tah" but i am thinking that sounds rather dancey?

J12 loves recipes, cos it's all about the just-so-measuring.
i did throw him a curve-ball today though, cos we only made half of the following (so he did a bit of maths on the run *katie ticks a box in her head*)

Rosemary Sciaciatta

1 tsp sugar
1/2 c warm water
1 Tbsp dried yeast
mix together in a bowl and set aside until frothy.
about ten mins later - when frothy - add
6 c plain flour
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp chopped rosemary (ouch!)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 c warm water
and mix to a dough.
knead on bench for five minutes until smooth, springy and elastic.
cover in a bowl, whang into oven on very low heat for an hour until dough has doubled in size.
shape into two large or four smaller loaves.
spray on olive oil, sprinkle with ocean salt, press a handful of small rosemary sprigs into each loaf.
bake 180 celsius for 20 mins.

and the loaves have turned out very like my head ciabatta bread: flat and airy. and we can't wait to dunk 'em in da sunshine-soup...

11 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

There's something about bread making that makes kids feel so darn clever! Great to hear about your kids in the kitchen - I've had a few phone calls at school this week from parents who enjoyed the homework I set over the weekend - my year 8 class had to make some sort of bread at least once. One boy had 3 goes! Samburgers - love that name!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol very like my head. Too freakin' funny. Looks yummy!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Sharonnz said...

We're working towards this model at our place. So far Sunday nights are Dadda plus M8 cooking a "proper" meal...NOT pancakes or scrambled eggs;-) Last Sunday was braised sausages with Le Puy lentils...yummo! I6 is always an extremely willing sous chef too. I'm aiming to only be cooking when I WANT to by the time youngest is 10yrs.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

My Home schooler loves cooking
its good for them
pumpkin soup im on my way over!!!!

and that bread looks yummy might have to try that

enjoy

Jen

4:59 PM  
Blogger The Gorgeous Debbie said...

OK, I'm gonna flaunt *all* my Italian heritage and have a stab at skyuh-cheeata. Can you tall I have *no* Italian heritage, lol?! Does it count if my Grandad served there in the war and managed to get through the entire thing relatively injury free, then when the war was officially decalred over, his platoon celebrated so hard that they rolled their truck on the way home and he ended up coming home via the hospital ;o)

When can J12 come and cook us dinner? We had over-cooked mutton and vegie pie - should have gone for the MLT option ;o)

Apparently the book I wanted to get you is *still* on order from the publishers, so we got you this thing today that made us all say "Hey - that matches Kate's ......" But now I'm thinking that getting something that goes with your ...... is maybe not such a flash idea, I'm not sure I'll actually give it to you tomorrow (but then I'm not sure just who I'd give it to otherwise.....). Hmmmmmmm xoxoxo

9:08 PM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

My daughter can't wait to begin helping with meals. She has made us one complete meal in the past, but as I observed her she was still a bit short compared to the stove. Too short for my comfort.

come on -- growth spurt!

11:23 PM  
Blogger The Gorgeous Debbie said...

And (pedantic "and"), by the way, I'm *so* getting brownie point cuddles from the man himself this morning (if only to ward off the non-beachy chill in the air - I can't believe it - it's always sunny when you organise a beach day!) - he's 12 now Mummy ;o)

9:33 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

floss
i am not a homework-convert at all... but *that's* my kinda homework, *grin* X

hippy
yeah, blonde and airy. maybe they're better descriptors? and now words are flooding into my skull, all mixed up with RHCP lyrics. D18 and i have been having these really interesting skype convos. he types in a lyric and i scratch my head and try to type in the next line before he does. i wish there was a uni paper on song lyrics or movie lines, he'd definitely get an A lol X

shaz
funny, we had that fabulous Sunday Night Cooking With Dad Buzz at our place one year too, your braised sausages with Le Puy lentils sound like the bizz. mmmmm X

jen
the bread really is super-easy and was all gobbled up in seconds of slicing it. we'll definitely make it again X

deb
lol i did write back to ya at hay's but here's a cut'n'paste jobbie:
ooo deb!!!
a *book*?
and this is a special book, it’s the one my father used to read to me when i was a boy and today i’m gonna read it to you…

mwah X

marie
yeah, i often pop the littlies up on a chair, or sit them at/on the bench lol X

deb
bring some of dat sunshine to the beach today, will ya? for some reason it's come over all grey over here X

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job getting the kids in on the action. I love that bread recipe and may just try it myself here. If it weren't time for bed, I would go and get some toast now after seeing that :)

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How special. Don't they just love the results too??? And you enjoy the eating so much more - how special.
J - did you know that baking is an exact science?? This is why you love it so much.
Hugs from Auntie Suz

1:16 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Borrowing from my husband's Italian heritage, I'd say the last part of the word was pronounced chee-ata also.

My girls are both getting to be good cooks, which makes me happy. I never had much experience in the kitchen as a kid. Good on yours for getting all that great life experience. BTW, my youngest uses a stepstool for her stovetop cooking.

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home