kate5kiwis: sunshine. storms. sparkles. swirling thoughts.

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

sunshine. storms. sparkles. swirling thoughts.

as much as i hate to say it, the temperature is dropping slightly in The Sunny Bay, and the wind is picking up. R13 and i couldn't resist these beads when we were camping @ coromandel over the summer:
and a couple of weeks ago i made mine into a l-o-n-g necklace in which (yep, here comes the symbolism) each bead is like one day, and strung together, they make My Beautiful Life.
some days are sparklier than others.
last night, snuggled up in bed, i read nearly half of my newest book (sourced for me by the gorgeous nush) Slice of Heaven: A Family on the Move, in which a growing NZ family travels the globe, daring to have dreams, and turning them into reality. now with five kids in tow. unconventional. courageous.
don't panic, we are not packing up to go to France just yet....

a little book-snippet, which amuses me:
Susan was a perfect hostess, and her parents charming people, but it seemed that no one actually knew how to cook - most unusual in an Italian household. Somehow it fell to me to produce something at short notice for the twelve or so guests who had appeared as the dinner hour approached. Armed with a simple local recipe, and with advice being offered from every angle at once, I embraced the task, and about an hour later a risotto alla milanese was served, which seemed to satisfy the diners.
Important: it should be noted that the making of a risotto, as any chef worthy of the name will tell you, is an artform that demands constant attention, not just from the person preparing the dish, but from any available audience. In the absence of dinner guests or other persons in the kitchen, it is wise to talk to oneself, and preferably to the risotto, encouraging it gently to finished perfection...

*kate breathes a sigh of relief that there are kindred spirits at large, and goes and puts on the sparkly-summer-days beads*

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, I just needed a little injection of YOU today. I loved this, what a gorgeous book. I need to read that!
now get into that garden .......hehe!
Love you
Suz

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your beads and the symbolism! =) Everyone should make something to symbolize their beautiful life! =)

And I, too, talk to myself...sometimes I answer...=)

Thank you for stopping by my place!

10:54 AM  
Blogger LeighLeigh said...

Talking and answering yourself is fine - infact I think it makes you a very interesting person, and certainly gives you good practice incase you ever get a cooking show on television...it's when you start arguing with yourself, and then giving yourself the silent treatment, that it's possibly time to step away from the kitchen!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its noticeably cooler today :(
We had really high winds last night
they are lovely
I love the colours
what an interesting sounding book
may have to keep my eye open for that one

BTW thought i should let u know I have introduced you to others in my blog
as we were required to do as part of the Ultimate Blogging Party
I like your blog I find it very interesting

5:27 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

oh kate I haven't even got to the end of your post...just to the bit about a kiwi family that travels the globe with kids in tow.....you know that is one of my two BIG dreams.....please please tell the title of the book...please please....I would apck up and be off tomorrow (thankfully I'm married to a very sensible hubby who just knows we need to get $$$$ to be able to eat while we travel)

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home