kate5kiwis: school's in

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

school's in

we do this at the beginning of every term. we start on monday morning with a hiss and a roar and we sharpen pencils and we Fill In Pages and we... essentially we Play School.
ah, such traditionalists.
this morning, (being tuesday, but we are still under the influence), J12 decided to write this scrap-of-rap-in-twenty-minutes-flat (my lyrics are bottomless), inspired by his latest book (which he has read "uncountable" times)

*hiphopopotamus voiceover*
I was the son of a poor fisherman,
I rode off with a horse in search of a new land,
We rode on land, we rode by sea,
I rode with my friend - a horse named Bree.
We came up near a lion, and it seemed a little grim,
For we found a small Tarkheena and a mare called Hwin.
We rode off to Tashbaan, the desert, and the North,
In Tashbaan we found a prince, a king, and a dwarf.
We rode into the desert to the tombs of Tashbaan,
We found a little valley which we rode through like a charm.
The sun was nearly setting, but our time was not yet done,
For we fought two hundred warriors under the morning sun.
And now the story's over, for you can see the end,
But more stories I will tell you with my pencil in my hand.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I love it! I have also read A Horse and His Boy "uncountable" times but I don't think I could write such a succinct summary... let alone make it rhyme and finish it in twenty minutes!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I like anyone who has style enough to rhyme north with dwarf - nice one!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

Excellent! And that's a book worth reading countless times.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I have read it a million times too! It is my 2nd fave (after Magician's Nephew!)

And BTW Hiphopopotamus is Jarrods "pet" name for me! hehehe

10:45 AM  
Blogger Rach said...

you'd better get to da beach tomorrow;-)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Liesl said...

What a terrific piece of writing, Kate! I have never read the original, believe it or not, and you've inspired me to get it down off the shelves :)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Summer Sailor said...

Awesome writing J12. The Chronicles of Narnia are such a great series. You should put some of your writing on your other Bravo Charlie Boy blog.

J12

11:07 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

oh you luffly peeps
are so encouraging, thanks X

master sailor
BCB appears to be rather quiet, huh. i'll pass on your lovely suggestion X

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home