kate5kiwis: butterfly kisses

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Thursday, July 17, 2008

butterfly kisses

woo hoo, i've finally finished
woozie's *fifteenth* birthday quilt.

it's delish and girly and packed full of love.
it even has her name on it!

(that's her butterfly blankie peeping out.)

there are four hearts on it,
for woozie's four brothers.


and fifteen buttons, for her birthday.

ribbons are arranged in fives,
for the five kiwi kids.


i've handquilted around fifteen flowers,
to keep the top half of the quilt layers
snuggled together.


and on the back, there's a secret pocket,
for treasures.


and butterflies,
to celebrate your emergence
from girlhood to womanhood.


i even went off in search of
some new fluffy sheets,

and found these, which were originally white
(but i soon fixed that),

and i've sprinkled a few flowers on the pillowcase
so that they match your decor.

and then i thought you'd like
a matching heaty-wheatie


and a cupcake pincushion,
for your own future sewing endeavours.
(ya never know, i might even be able to
squeeze an apron
out of
the leftover fabric too, lol)
love you to the moon and back X

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Fabulous! Breath-taking! What a wonderful, special gift.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

what's not to love?

1:43 PM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

love the colours and the butterfly
i like butterflies

Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter

jen

4:16 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

That's the best use of a vintage sheet I've ever seen! The quilt is fabulous and that little cupcake pincushion is perrrrfect.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow! What a lovely gift for your daughter! I love all of the symbolism, and especially the butterflies celebrating her emergence into womanhood. What a sweet affirmation of her as a woman.

You're a great mom.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

By the way...thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Also, this post reminded me of another I read today about something a father did to affirm his son's emergence into manhood. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.mattsingley.com/leading/?p=622

6:00 PM  
Blogger Sharonnz said...

Eye-poppingly cute!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Love the combination of colours - really summery!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

Absolutely delightful.

You funky mama!!

{PS: I suck at spelling,please forgive any typos}

8:04 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Ooo -- I just saw Starshine at Mrs. G.'s, and here she is! She's like, magic!

Katie, that girly quilt is just beautiful. I can't imagine how special and loved it makes your Woozie feel. I wish that I could sew!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

What an amazing 15th birthday gift, a treasure for her to keep for life! I love it, it's so cool and flowery, really adorable!!! Happy birthday to your young lady..X

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

unequivocably the most stunningly gorgeous almost edible quilt ever to treasure forever. and ever. amen.

xx

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely, 100% one of the most AMAZING mummys I've ever *met*. What a beautiful collection of treasures for Miss Woozie. :) Love the cupcake pincushion!

I would LOVE to learn to quilt, but haven't the first clue how to start....

Marvellous job, dahlink. Marvellous!

PS: my word verification was lixtips. Huh? Lix tips?! Weird.

(Psst....I'm having a 'fab' giveaway on my blog: http://marvellousmousedesigns.blogspot.com/2008/07/fabulous-giveaway.html)

2:59 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Very cool! I know i just made the girls quilts last year...but, this is starting all sorts of ideas in my head!!!

BTW if you don't win the needlebook i will swap you one for a pin cushion!!!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I forgot to say how much i love the fact that you include meaning in everything you do!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great quilt! I love all the symbolism's. You are so creative! :o)

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your quilts, so creative and original with your thoughts. I hope that she treasures it for many years to come.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

Who are you! That is INCREDIBLE... I dont even sew but I want one of those **cupcake** blinkin pin cushions!!!

Happy Birthday Rachie xx

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home