kate5kiwis: communiKATE

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Saturday, July 05, 2008

communiKATE

one of the beautiful little things i love about families is their unique sayings - it seems that each time a family has a new adventure, a few new sayings emerge. there are hundreds from my childhood that i have thought about writing down for posterity - i have a couple of sayings zipping into my mind from our boating days, of which i have no idea of their origin:
Bingo, Bango, Bongo, Uncle Bungo.
are you B-sick (feeling queasy) or seasick (actually chundering)?
i'm D-sick.
and skiing days:
i'm gonna ski the top off the mountain (which actually applies to any of life's big mountains, scaled)
there are eleventy billion more, i've just got the brain blank.
yesterday my dahling Dad reminded me of another:
S's (our family name) are a wiry breed.

in our own little family, we have the *movie lines quoting* thing: where someone might say something that triggers a sequence of lines from a movie, and then it quickly becomes a giggly moment as voices escalate in unison, quoting the lines back atcha.
(no surprises, i do it online too.)

this year, D18 and i have somehow developed a wee *hiya* game via text where he might send me a line from a song late at night from The Big Smoke...
sing another drinking song, the honkytonk will do.. and i'll text him back with another line from the same song... eyes wide with revelation shine at the police station... it's a fun way of connecting without doing the usually predictive "so, how was your day?" or "wuu2?".

i'm not sure how long the next wee game has been operating, but it's a goodie, and getting rather obsessive, competitive, and increasingly compulsive. i noticed we did it first thing this morning, as Bulldog was getting ready to go to S10's hockey game with him. it was rather a short sequence - these things usually drag on for quite a while (BD is the cryptic crossword king)

BD: Oh, where's my beanie?
moi: Has anyone seenie the beanie?
*calling to R15* Hey, Queenie, have you seenie Dad's beanie?
BD: *
finds it, whangs it on his head* I'm a genie.

Roight then, I'm off to sew a quilt:
No more rhymes now, I mean it...
Anybody wanna peanut?
Garrrrr!
(easy peasy movie line)

7 Comments:

Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

what a creative lot you are :)

LOVE the material will we get to see the final product pretty please

jen

10:48 AM  
Blogger Frances said...

I really identify with the family sayings thing - I'm one of six kids in my family and the in-laws always roll their eyes when we six get together these days, as they reckon we start speaking another language.

We also have SO many silly traditions and rituals that seem ridiculous to others but SOOOOO funny to us.

I can't wait to start getting more family sayings in my own little family as the kids get older. It's such a cool thing - it's like saying "you're part of this family, you're part of our gang, because you know all the in jokes". It's a very nice thing to know that you're "in". :-)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

That's so funny... the peanut quote is a favourite of ours. Whenever Tim or I get our angry eyes on, and go blah blah blah I MEAN IT, we usually get the peanut response. Quilt fabric looks yummy.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo eee! You all crack me up! :) We do the movie line thing here, too, as well as nicknames galore.

Love, love the quilt teaser. Where did you get those *delish* polka dotty buttons?? I'm dotty for dotty buttons....

2:31 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, we've got lots of little phrases and names too... most seem to turn up on the spur of the moment. For some reason both the boys get called "pickle" on various occasions... not sure why but it just work...

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My children all have nicknames beginning with B and I have no idea how any of them arose. People often ask and I feel a bit stupid looking blank - but they are Biddy, Bee, Biny and Bobie!

We always play a game - first one to guess a song as it starts on the radio. And boy are we shit hot at it. Even my youngest can identify tracks after just a few bars. But I am the best of course!!!

4:41 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

jen
absolutely, i can hardly sleep for creating lol X

cesca
exactly. love how you describe it X

floss
*angry eyes* ???
rofl
love the outtakes of Toy Story where Mr Potato Head is packing all his stuff, including his "angry eyes" lol X

sarah
i've forgotten your addy, email me chick and i'll post ya a dotty buttons package X

steve
"pickle" lol
my latest is "flash"... X

gina
love the nicknames.
we play that game too. well, Bulldog has played it with me for about fifteen years, he beats me every time. but now our kiddos play it and give him a serious run for his money lol X

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home