kate5kiwis: knitty gritty

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Monday, June 16, 2008

knitty gritty

my mum is an avid knitter. since time immemorial (well, as long as i can remember) she's produced deliKATEly intriKATE warm stuff at the drop of a hat (including eleventy billion ski hats) and there has been absolutely no need at all for me to learn to knit. plus it's rather a slow occupation when compared to the miracle of sewing. plus the instructions are rather mathsy and my brain gets fully blocked after the first five words of
Needle 2 (instep needle): Knit 1, slip1 slip1, both knitwise, knit through front of slipped stitches, knit to 3 stitches from end, knit2together, knit 1.

and my eyes go squiffy and my heart beats eleventy billion times a minute. yeah. it does.

so i am totally ecstatic that my mum is still able to pass on the knitty gritty knitting gene at the drop of a hat:
and the kids all get such a buzz from it.
well, this started out as a scarf with 20 stitches,
and has suddenly morphed into a little blankie for Teddy
with 85 stitches at last count.

So Mum has just dashed out and got S10 a "circular (told ya it's mathsy) knitting needle" and is busy teaching him how to count... lol.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sharonnz said...

You'll have to buy him this book now: http://www.amazon.com/Son-Stitch-Bitch-Projects-Crochet/dp/0761146172/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213590678&sr=8-1

4:32 PM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

bless her
Jen

4:49 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I'm sure knitting is related to quantum mechanics... my nan tried to teach me once (knitting that is): plain did my head in!

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

B4 is forever asking me to teach him to knit - can I borrow your mum?

and happy birthday for sat, my bad, hope you had a luffly one!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Just as well for Mums I say... I can knit but I don't like to, not really much anyway. I make a few pairs of fingerless mits every winter and the occasional odd baby hat (odd by the time I'm done with them) but I'm like you, much prefer to sew.

He's concentrating so hard!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

How wonderful for your mother and your son. I'm happy that my Scientist picked up an interest in knitting once she saw me trying to learn, but I am just a beginner myself. I find knitting is a nice thing to do to keep my hands busy when I can't be by a sewing machine. :)

2:27 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

What a cool post, I love the look of pure concentration on your son's face.... I keep putting off showing my son how to knit, think I may hand that job over to nana!

By the was just have to let you know that I made your raspberry/sour cream cake on Sunday...it was super yummy, thanks for the recipe!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I wish your Mom could come and help me out. I just started knitting this past year (again, after so many years) and I Love it! I want to move on to some more difficult things though.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he is going to be the perfect son-in-law. Tell him to pick out one of my girls, and I'll organise the paperwork. :)

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

I am knitting... I do it on night shift if I get to sit down at all. I have knitted one ribbon lace scarf and now onto numvber two. It's a very intrikate scarf and is lovely. I gave the first one to Mikky for her 15th birthday (can you believe it?) and now I feel I should knit one for Brittany (16 eeek) I don't think I will get one. Oh well. Always hated knitting but it seems if it's a bit more challenging it's not so boring!!

Kate

7:50 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

I could hardly *believe* Kate was going to be knitting. sigh. it's so therapeutic m'dear. then you could follow that pattern and do the decreses for your sock!!!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

I forget what I was going to write -- I'm laughing at Hay's "pick a girl, any girl".

Okay, here we go. I'm struck by the beauty of his hands. Isn't it amazing when the dimpled hands of our pudgy toddlers become strong and capable? Sometime I look at my kids and wonder, marvel.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Nikki Elisabeth said...

Weeeeeeeeeee! Knitting! Yay for your boy!

I seriously have the attention span of a 2 year old and I can knit. So I am SURE that you can too Katie potatey. It's just sorta relaxin' and stuff and then all of a sudden you have something! And it's like a giant surprise. Ya don't get that with sewing. (Or maybe ya do? I don't)

And circular needles and DEFINITELY the way to go. Hats quick as heck and no seaming (this is where my attention span struggles with knitting.. so I have to knit all in one piece)

Hope he gets into it.

P.S. Scarves suck. There is no magic knitting surprise.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home