kate5kiwis: lost in translation

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

lost in translation

j'ai perdu mes clefs. i have lost my keys.
je cherche mes clefs. i am looking for my keys.
avez-vous a vu mes clefs? have you guys seen my keys?
quelqu'un a trouvé mes clefs? has anyone found my keys?

even though we have a little place on the kitchen bench to pop our keys, phones, wallets, these questions pop up with rather high frequency during the week.
they popped up again this morning:

moi: j'ai perdu mes clefs. avez-vous a vu mes clefs?
*no one moves a muscle*
moi:
i'm offering a *prize* for whoever finds my keys.
(nope, not eduKATEd enough to say that one en français)
*lads leap up from wherever situated and start pulling the house apart*
quelqu'un a trouvé mes clefs? has anyone found my keys?
and while i'm asking, has anyone found my marbles?

M6: Mum, why do you need your keys?
moi: *frantically looking under a few piles* just in case we need to go somewhere in an emergency, i would like to know where they are.
M6: oh don't worry Mum, you can always go on your roller blades...
moi: ummm, great idea, thanks kiddo.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. G. said...

That is a kid who knows how to problem solve.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

my kiddos check what the prize is before leaping! Thankfully a kiss still gets them jumping;-) But offer chocolate and they jump higher.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

He's so practical! Love the vid of you on wheels ;-)

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and maybe you could make a wheel barrow/waggon thing to push along while you're skating - that way you could carry your groceries along.

oh, and sarah can probably help you find your keys.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

I lost my keys the other day
we finally found them under Our little Mans potty
Jen

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well talking of lost in translation, I was up all night with a lovely chinese couple helping them bring their new baby into the world. She spoke no English and I suspect he did not either judging by his often puzzled looks he gave me. You would have loved me trying to ascertain whether she had "passed urine " after the birth resorting to charades but all to no avail....

Ahh the things we do....

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great French! I have to laugh though that I totally freak out if I can't find my keys, did you ever find them? Did anyone get a prize?

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home