kate5kiwis: bad hair daze

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Sunday, June 17, 2007

bad hair daze

i know, i know. i'm writing about hair. my hair. i feel kinda weird doing this, but... after blogging for fourteen months i'm running out of things to say to myself. blonde and angsty, that's me. i usually don't bother blogging the angst, i save that for other people's blogs, lol...

but i just got all inspired over at whoorl. cos now i'm not the only chick who obsesses about hair, and i love her disclaimer:
I’m a wash-n-wear kind of gal. Not today, however. Today I’ll be the Super Me. I know what you’re thinking, “What if the super you meets the super her and the super her rejects the super you?” Well, then it’s no problem because it was never you, it was just an act. I live my life like a French movie.

aha, a kindred spirit!!!!!

right then: i've been thinking about hair care for the last month or two. i tried not washing it, just conditioning it with my leave-in schwarzkopf. then i tried using baking soda to wash it and then conditioning it with schwarzkopf. i was going to try organic products, but never got around to finding something so i'm back to schwarzkopf (oh, how i love that word) shampoo and conditioner.
i think it just needs a really good cut. it has to wait three weeks until R14 and i have a mommy-daughter date with our Funky Hair Lady. and while i'm waiting for that day, i've been having all sorts of hair crises: chocolate brown? pink?

i'm ready for a change, but don't wanna cut it off again: i've tried all sorts of lengths and colours and finally decided three years ago (after lopping it all off during a mid-life moment) that i'll grow it to my bum before i'm forty. hippie styles. that's (the rediscovered) me.

i like it curly: but for a Good Hair Day, i need to wet it every morning, and scrunch mousse into my tresses so that the birds-nest-from-the-night-before turns back into luscious springs. and not blow all the curls outta it with the hairdryer. of course that's fine in summer, but in winter it stays wet for about five hours: too freezy.
which is why i love my beanie...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having hair woes, as well. To cut or not to cut. That is the question, along with to colour or not to colour.

I totally support your chocolate decision, but what bout maintenance (i.e. roots?). I'm like you: wash'n'wear and low maintenance. I sure don't want to be lugging myself back and forth to the hairdresser for touch ups.

What to do, Lovely Kate? More beanies??? *wink*

4:26 AM  
Blogger LeighLeigh said...

DONT CUT IT!! I loved my hair cut really short - however, now I have decided that long is lovely, and am having to go through the "i'm growing it' stage - which is painful, and the chances of having a BHD are increased 10 fold.
Moral of the story - unless you are 120% sure that what you are going to do is wonderfully better than what you currently have - don't do anything. (or use your hair straighteners - do a really good job and it should last for 4 days - winter sleak long hair always looks good, especially when it hangs long down your back over a very stylish coat....that's my plan!!)

8:16 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

lol about the beanies sarah
probably a good idea.
i really wanna avoid the expense and hassle of a dramatic change/keeping it that way...
in reality, i think i'd love chocolate for a week or so then i'd wanna go back to the real me... maybe..

leighleigh
ok i'm gonna try the straight-thing this week... maybe that'll get *the need for a change* outta my system... and when i visit Our Funky Hair Lady i'll probably just get the usual: a trim with a couple of blonde highlights sprinkled through the crown. and i'll be happy with that.
now for the stylish coat:
Oh, what I wouldn't give for a holocaust cloak.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

I'd love to go red, but I'm not sure my sensitive skin could handle it. My hairdresser-sister-in-law says I should do a scalp test first. Maybe I should just cover up the white hairs and not worry about changing color? Decisions, decisions! Life is pain, Highness.

12:32 PM  
Blogger LeighLeigh said...

the other thing I meant to mention - have you tried the wonderfully perfect Fudge product called "Screwed"? it is for curly hair and you apply when you hair is wet, and then (using a defuser - you must get one if you don't already own one - it's an attachment that goes on the end of your hairdryer) you blow dry it, scrunching it all up in your hands. Makes for wonderfully curly curls. There is also a spray product, which you can apply when, say you did your hair in the morning, and then you are going out that evening, and need a spuce up - well you spray on, scrunch and walk out looking dazzling. I can't stand my hair curly - but I do have a few tricks for managing the fro!
Love youxx LL

12:44 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

i hate bad hair days.... and i havent quite fell absolutely head over heels for a style either.... coloring is too much money...
so sometimes i'll just part it like the pic on my blog and wear it like that :)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

at least when your hair is straight it's either a straight BHD or simply a BHD!!!!

ANywya, you didn't try to BS for anywhere near long enough Kate. You gotta wait at least six weeks - oh I know, that would be an eternity for ya wouldn't it! It truly takes a coupla months to get your natural oils in balance.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell ya what, Kate. I have pin straight brown hair and I would love to swap you for your gorgeous curly blond hair. So, are you up for another global swap???

Listen to the rhythm. Don't be scared.

3:02 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

barb
hey, maybe a henna product would work for you?? i haven't tried henna, but leighleigh's auntie used it for years... maybe she has a few pointers??
...anyone who tells you differently is selling something.

em
my friend sarah's (who raced us to the hospital the day that R14 was born) hair stylist once told her that everyone can wear their hair naturally, providing they have a good cut...
i like the pic on your blog :o)

rach
i totally tried it for a month, i was so dedicated. dedikated. but i got impatient. so you're saying i didn't go long enough... aaarrrgggh!! maybe i'll try again??
*scratches head*

sarahmouse
strictly ballroom. one of the top *pick a number* movies that should be on your movie post.
ok, i gotta run...
i have to help wayne with his bogo pogo!!!

3:30 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

oops
leighleigh
how did i forget you>>> soon-to-be-birthday-girl!!!!!
i think i'll go looking for That Product (can't type it, gonna make me blush)

how can you *not* like curly?? your curl is fantastic... i love it. i really do.
for the record:
curly is the new black.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

Hi Kate,
Oh, don't cut too much of your pretty hair!

I'm following the courly girl routine too. I'm not blessed with the abundant curls you have, but I vary between waves and curls. I have found using a spray bottle and some mousse or gel in the mornings will work. That way my hair does not get as wet and dries much faster. Ususally I'll wash it with the baking soda in the evenings so it can take 4 - 5 hours to dry.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is coming from a conservative brown/grey/foiled haired chick...have you tried the ol' silk pillowcase???

I would love to see you choc brown - hey what about trying on wigs? Let me come!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go with whatever makes your eyes sparkle I say, can't wait to see what you do!
shaz

6:53 AM  
Blogger erin said...

Your hair is beautiful (at least in your pictures!!!)

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thick curlyish hair too, and the wet moussey scrunch trick gives me the best curls. I don't have a diffuser, so blow drying it makes it loose the curl and go frizzy, so a natural dry is better, but it takes aaaaggggeeeesss. I might have to try the spray bottle trick for non-wash days.!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home