kate5kiwis: francais friday

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Friday, August 18, 2006

francais friday


When Hubby and I went to the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, we were absolutely captivated by Auguste Rodin's Le Baiser (The Kiss). Rodin is also the sculptor of Le Penseur (The Thinker).


Auguste Rodin (November 12, 1840November 17, 1917) was a French sculptor.
Born François-Auguste-René Rodin, to a working class family in Paris, he is often given a pivotal role in the history of modern
sculpture, as both excelling at and rebelling from the Beaux-arts tradition. His unique, virtuoso ability to organize a complex, turbulent, deeply pocketed surface set him apart from the figure sculpture traditions before and since his time.

8 Comments:

Blogger pearl-girl said...

wow this is sooo cool.

i love it how every friday you have somthing more about france.
you must have had a blast...

looking foward to hearing more about it..

love R xx

9:44 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Thank you for sharing that with us! Did you know that the The Cleveland Museum of Art has one of the copies of Rodin's The Thinker? Maybe sometime you can visit and see it. :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

I've had a miniature version of The Thinker on my desk for years which is one of my favorite sculptures along with Degas' Petite ballerine

I LOVE your French Fridays...keep them coming, makes me travel and reminisce for a little while. And thanks for your comment on perfumes on my blog. Buying perfume in a quaint shop on teh Champs Elysées sounds so decadent and fun ;)

4:59 AM  
Blogger LeighLeigh said...

ohhhh - that reminds me - did I tell you about the best ever (although I don't think I would call it quaint) place to buy perfume and makeup? It is www.strawberrynet.com (sorry I do not know how to do the hyperlinks) It is the most fabulous place - and so cheap - and FREE delivery!! I get all my Clinique (again could have done a hyperlink if I was that clever..!!) and perfume from there, it's brilliant (and the budgeting man loves it too!!)

12:49 PM  
Blogger LeighLeigh said...

What is with the word verification? I am not sure what it is trying to achieve or block out - do you know?

12:50 PM  
Blogger LeighLeigh said...

Oh - and one more thing....I had no idea about the whole French Friday thing going on - very cool, I just thought you were Torturing me slowly with your wonderful memories!! ("I can cope with torture" shake of head "You don't believe me?"
You survived the Fire Swamp. You must be very brave...but nobody withstands The Machine.)

12:56 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

Leighleigh
check this out for info on hyperlinks. although i still haven't figured how to add a hyperlink to one of my own *blog pages* in this comment box. let me know if/when ya figure it out ok.

the reason i choose word verification is that one day i woke up to 94 spam messages happily left by an auto-commenter.
i was *not* a happy blogger.

thanks for the strawberry net heads up.. i usually buy all my products from pak'n'save *blush*. probably why my skin doesn't look like yours *giggle*

Torture, you say?
...don't even think about trying to escape. The chains are far too thick. Don't dream of being rescued, either; the only way in is secret. Only the Prince, the Count, and I know how to get in and out.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

Tee Hee,

When I was little my parents used to joke with us that Rodin's _Le Penseur_ was thinking about where he left his clothes.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home