kate5kiwis: eduspeak

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Thursday, May 07, 2009

eduspeak

i have another essay due in four days, so my head is full of social dynamics and accessibility and the deprivation index and decile funding, and various socioeconomic factors which directly affect educational opportunity, and choice or lack of it, and Beeby and Dewey and Thrupp, and even Pierre Bourdieu - but it occured to me as i sat in my social issues lecture this arvo/evening (yeah, four hour lecture, oh joy) that this culture shock is slowly starting to ebb and i am finding the readings far less dense and frightening and mystical than i initially did, and i am finally beginning to assimilate all these Big Words into my consciousness.

the weight that i continue to lose is kinda shocking though - i'm now a kilo less than i was at a rather slender nineteen - although the chub seems to have been redistributed to different places lol. memo to self - e.a.t.

when Bulldog came to pick me up after my lecture tonight, he played me this song, and held my hand as we drove along the expressway, and i blinked back tears as our journey flashed past like the blinking lights from warm lounges and street corners and the words echoed around and around as i thought about the new *coming alive* for us this year - connecting in the sphere of academia - i am loving tripping inside all this history and politics and thinking deeply about the world of our nation's children, and sharing all of it with the person i love as much as any in the world.

still i try to find my way, spending hours, endin' days, burnin' like a flame behind my eyes. drown it out, drink it in. i lay there in the dark, i close my eyes.
you saved me the day you came alive.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Academia is like a road trip - long, hard, arduous, emotional but ultimately one of the best trips you'll ever take... enjoy it! ;-)

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww bless that man of yours

the thing that gets me is 4 hour lectures wow my brain would sizzle :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger Sharonnz said...

We love Dave and the boys here;-)

8:08 AM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Sigh... you sound like it's so under control. I loved university, loved the ideas and the endless debates. I even enjoyed writing essays. You're forgetting to eat? Sounds like you need a care parcel ;-) Have a great weekend. xxx

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good, I'm glad you're finding your feet. It does take a while.

Interesting re the weight. I wish I could forget to eat. But I lost stacks of weight a few years back and was probably the lowest I've ever been as an adult and then a year later it was all back on again. Funny what stress does and being busy does, far more effective than any diet!!

But yeah - you do need to eat!

3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home