kate5kiwis

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hello My Dad.
for as long as i remember,
you've always been cagey
about having your photo taken -
see? i wasn't quick enough.

there is still something
between you and the camera.

and that's the stern daddy look.

today is your birthday - it's time for family speeches, time for special remembering. i love it that a lot of the culture you and mum created for me during my childhood still lives on in my own little family - our closeness, funny sayings, wisdom from the uncles, walking and talking, do-it-yourself-fix-its, inhaling a glass of wine before drinking it. i love it that you insist on us making our own way in the world, but whenever i send up the smoke signals, you and mum are quick to respond, to listen, sometimes to advise.
i love your bravery, your adventuring, your taking the road less travelled. i love it that you are so involved in our life, i love the easy chats each of our children have with you and mum, your lively interest in their worlds. i love it that you made a beautiful childhood for me, and that's inspired me in creating beauty for my own children. you taught me that words are powerful and family is paramount, that a day in the surf makes a memory, that food is more than nourishment for the body - it delights the soul. i love your realism - yet you are emotional like me - and for all of our similarity, our cat-and-dogged-ness, i feel how you think.

I love you, My Dad.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is such a fabulous tribute to your Dad - he looks like a great man who'd make for some hilarious dinner conversations! Love your sneaky photographs, combined with such beautiful memories of your own childhood, which is living on in your own children.

I too have a very special Dad who has a very good nose for red wine! Chuckle!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

My dad and your mum share the same birthday! Mums is 11.01.50.

Love your words for your papa, it is so important to honour our parents for bringing us into this world and giving us whatever they could. xx

7:30 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Well. I need to call my dad.

That was lovely. Have a great visit and celebration!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday to your day
his cake with all those strawberries looks yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE the last photo your dad looks like he has a good sense of humour :)

jen

8:32 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Happy birthday cool dude!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Lucky you for having a close and loving family. Pass the cake!

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, how sweet! Happy Birthday, Dad! :)

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww happy birthday Kate's Dad. He behaves just like me in photos - I am often hiding behind a wine glass (well not at the moment obviously - sadly).

It is my father's birthday today!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sniff...Happy birthday to you special daddy! He raised an amazing woman!!!
a.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw nice :)

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I thought I commented here already. Don't know what happened to that. Anyway, we love your dad too! After all, he is partially responsible for you being here and we are thankful for our friendship with you so that extends naturally to your dad. Hope his day was awesome! He looks like a fun character and is quite dashing!

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home