kate5kiwis: dawn

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

dawn

D18 arises in the middle of the night and lights every bulb in the house, readying himself for his summer job, slurping cereal and closing the front door twice on his way out. Rasputin rolls out of the driveway as Hubby and I roll ourselves over and plump the downy pillows, making sleeping noises. I sense Hubby reaching out to hold my hand, we blink and murmur and fall back asleep.

Still before dawn, Hubby rouses himself, donning suit and tie. I roll out of bed into yesterday's beach shorts and create our espresso moment and then we share a fruit smoothie with R14, freshly washed and brushed, packing last night's sushi into her school bag. We listen to summer music as I drive Hubby to work in The Tardis, laden with computer and lunch and papers and plans and promises to stay at work until the current problem is solved.
I turn up the music on the way home.

Woozie and I play beauty parlour for a bit and then I rush outside to snap the dawn.
We hop in the car again, leaving a note for sleeping lads, sharing a few secrets. R14 is looking forward to reconnection with mates, I am feeling so happy for her delight and anticipation. I kiss her and capture the image of her smile as she flies out of the car.
I turn up the music again on the way home.

Two brothers roll inside from their night in the tent asking, "Is Daddy still home?" I hold them to me, breathing in the sleep which still clings to their warmth and they mooch off to ring him in his office, leaving a message on his answerphone, and head towards the food.

I go off in search of another espresso and pop a pink Summer Playlist in my blog sidebar: an antidote to the term dawning, as summer sleep-ins and lazy family beach days flit into my head and flit out.
I turn up the music.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, now I am feeling really guilty about my little *back to school* jig :(. Sorry the big weekend is over for another year. Drown yourself in AA esspressos (if you've not broken all of them now ;)), sparklies and that avalanche of beautiful friends you have. mwah xxxx

(And thanks for that beautiful dawn picture, especially since I never plan on being up that early to see the dawn ;))

9:20 AM  
Blogger LeighLeigh said...

Look on the bright side - at least you had him till today...Grant went back on the 14th, and it was just depressing - I had the girls wanting to call him, leaving him messages - they would wake up from their sleeps for the first week asking if Daddy was back - I could have sat down with them and cried! xx
Leigh

11:42 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

little miss happy
you *dance* as well as buy funky pressies? yes, my name will go down in history as one of the world's biggest klutzes. i have hit my head *twice* in the last week, once i ran into the open boot door of The Tardis resulting in a very dazed trip back from the mount and a huge bloody welt between my eyebrows (monobrow? what monobrow?) and then yesterday i dropped the whole futon on myself, so now i have a big red graze under my nose and my tooth is threatening to turn black.
on the upside, i still own three AA espresso cups/and matching saucers(!)
and now i've jinxed it X

little miss sunshine
Hubby went back to work on the twentieth, he had a whole four weeks off (kinda off, he did sneak back surreptitiously for this'n'that)
it's just that he's been wearing beachy shorts for the last two weeks and The Wearing Of The Suit is The Official Announcement that it's all over, rover. but hey, i just had a little afternoon sleep and i didn't wake up crying, so that's good X

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Post - feels like the end of an era at our house too. You put it so much nicer though.

Dig the playlist. Listened to a bit of Bic Runga singing Sway while I was visiting. Haven't heard that in a loooong time.
;)

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: ohh, and the Jack Johnson song from Curious George too (you just know I'm going to be visiting often now dontcha)
upside down, fa la la la la ....

3:57 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

little miss jewellerymaker
yeah, gotta get a bit of Bic every so often. whenever i hear her i flash back to eight years ago.. when the kids'n'i spent two weeks driving Leighleigh's little car around The Big Smoke while she was away honeymooning!
but i am a Total Uninitiate To Curious George... he's the monkey, right? lol X

4:54 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Thank you so much for naming your van the TARDIS--it totally made my day. *Just* discovered the 2006 season of Dr. Who with Christopher Eccleston. Why have I never seen this before???????!!!!

5:06 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

little miss jana
thanks for the thumbs up.
we are loving the luxury of an unleaky van lol
just wiki-d it and there have been TEN Doctor Whos... strange but true.
i remember the ones from the mid to late seventies lol X

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie, you are such a fabulous Mummy, Wife, Friend, Barista, Fun Magnet, Emanater (keh?) of Sparkles, Groover, Avoider of Carbs, Mount Main Beach Hanger-Outer, and Spreader of The Lurve (yep, capital T on The Lurve, baby). My life is enriched by knowing you're accessible xoxoxo

11:13 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Wow -- back to school. Here in Virginia, that is in September. " .. a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils" to you and yours. :) (What movie?)

Even tho' we watch the big yellow school bus drive past these days -- or would if we woke that early and walked down the road -- I remember the air of excitement, the possibility that something new was about to happen.

I love the play list. So that's what you kiwis listen to ... :)

1:11 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

little miss drop dead gawjuss
awww sheesh, does this mean that you're officially *out*??
lovin' me all this virtual chat lol.

there's a plan afoot for omanu on friday, but *just quietly* it's freaking me out that there are becoming so many beach rescues at the surf of late. am wondering if pilot bay is gonna be our permanent stomping (er, splashing?) ground this summer? X
PS D18 and i have been in total hysterics this morning as i have been trying to breathe while recounting Your New World Story!! oh the images... X

little miss laura
" .. a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils"
lol, i had to ask D18 (movie lines memoriser extraordinaire) and he gave us a few clues:
Meg Ryan says it in You've Got Mail
cute movie.

So that's what you kiwis listen to
that's what the 5kiwis have been listening to this summer... D18 and S10 have even been serenading us with Jack Johnson's Banana Pancakes on their guitars... so fabulous X

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading that post and thanks for stopping by my site!!!!!!! :P

1:53 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Loved reading about your day, you have such a comfortable way with words. I need to look for more magic in my ordinary days. I've been back at school a week but am not full-on with classes until Monday. I can't wait!

9:30 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

little miss kaylee
awww thanks, u r speshal X

little miss flossy
in my previous life (i taught Year Two kiddos) i remember my sparkliest thing was teaching ART. at one stage i had 36 children in the class (i got much of my Classroom Management Inspiration from Kindergarten Cop lol) and it was the *best* thing for quietening everyone down after lunch, so inspiring to watch them creating beautiful artworks. i love children's art. wishing you many *sparkle* moments X

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home