kate5kiwis: cider inside 'er

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Monday, October 29, 2007

cider inside 'er

We're all avid Roald Dahl fans, from The BFG to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (cos we love chocolate) to Danny, The Champion of the World *grin* to Revolting Rhymes, which I remember reading to classrooms full of children in my previous life, amidst much hilarity and horror. It turns out that Roald shared our adoration for food too - about a year ago we discovered a *recipe book* in our local library, compiled by Roald's granddaughter Felicity, called Even More Revolting Recipes. It's an incredibly creative, appealing read, filled with such things as *plushnuggets* and *glumptious glob gobblers* and *pickled spines of porcupines* and even* luminous lollies for eating in bed at night* (the recipe of which we will keep well hidden from M5, who has finished all his dental nurse treatment thank you very much and is now our resident Teeth Brushing Expert), all illustrated by the inimitable Quentin Blake. Roald Dahl's recipe book keeps reappearing at our place,
and today we tried out Bean's Cider,
cos it looks rather delish in the picture,
and we remember hooting with laughter
on many occasions

while reading about Rat's hilarious
cider escapades in
Fantastic Mr. Fox.

There's a funny little rhyme that I
half-remember from my childhood,
something about "the cider inside her inside..."

The verdict is that Bean's Cider does taste rather delish,
but as J11 said, "It's not very fizzy."
So now there are plans afoot to add
some sherbet mix to it, or maybe some lemonade...

though I'm not sure if there's still
any *cider* left to add the fizz to...

10 Comments:

Blogger oacemama said...

FANTASTIC! We loved Roald Dahl here too (except The Twirs...can't stand that one!) Will have to hunt down that recipe book O5 would love to make some I'm certain.

7:43 PM  
Blogger oacemama said...

Doh...I meant the Twits...I am a twir!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Hay said...

We just got Revolting Rhymes out today. Love the sound of that recipe book, might have to grab a copy for my Maddy 'Masterchef'.
Good job folks. xxxx

9:35 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I love Roald Dahl too! Thats so awesome he has a recipe book, I'm definitely gonna hafta look for it :D

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like an interesting lesson

8:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Em was telling me about your blog post. Sarah (5) comes running down the hall yelling "Its all about Kate Kiwi!!!" lol It was too funny!

2:46 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

I guess we're just lazy - seeing as it's fall here we can buy very nice quality apple cider made right in our area. :)

6:28 AM  
Blogger Nikki Elisabeth said...

I remember having that recipe book!! I wonder where it ended up... maybe I should hunt it down for Hanny pants, who is VERY into cooking and loooves gross stuff.

12:38 PM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Cool cook book, and cider sounds like it would be perfect right now.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lurrve Roald Dahl ... we grew up on all his books, agh they were the good times. And history repeats. Xanthe and dad are currently reading The Twits together. I am so pleased to be raising another Roald Dahl lover (umm, I don't think that came out quite right - LOL).

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home