kate5kiwis: treasure on earth

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Thursday, July 26, 2007

treasure on earth

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
(Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in Godric's Hollow; as well as other sources, lol)

my grandfather, who i never met, had a whole acre of ground upon which, year after year, he grew flowers. he didn't sell many though, he loved to give them away.

it's an exciting thing, going global. it's a tingly thought, knowing that people are actually willing to *pay* me for doing something that gives *me* such delight: threading beads. i *love* the buzz that i get from designing something unique, something that epitomises an individual woman and gives her the message: you are special.

i made myself some little cards earlier in the month, with my label *kate couture* (it's a pun on Haute Couture) on them, and as i was thinking of a slogan that is "mine and all for me", i couldn't decide. so i've made different ones, with things like:
*beautiful inspiration
*intricately yours
*making every day sparkle
*celebrating femininity
*crystal heartstrings
all in different fonts printed on them.

in my perfect world, i'd love to design jewellery for people who can afford it, and then i could use that $ to buy beads to make pieces to give away. also, i love designing the *first* piece, i'm not so good at a production line. but i believe in my friend ang's vision: so gratis, in the last two weeks i've lit many candles and sipped a lot of espresso, and listened to lovely music, and chatted to patient kiddos and friends, and threaded heart-shaped beads and pink pearls and twirly heart charms to make two hundred and twenty five little danglies (for a mobile phone or a keyring) for ang who's sharing the love at next month's *shine* conference.

and it makes my heart sing that like my grandfather i can make something beautiful, and give that treasure away, and the love goes global.

6 Comments:

Blogger BeachMama said...

Those are very cool. You are a great inspiration and oh so talented.

I looked at that Shine Conference and wonder if it the same one that travelled through my Sister's city this Spring. That would be doubly cool.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a very special soul, Ms. Kate Couture. :)

5:37 AM  
Blogger Hay said...

How do you do what you do when you do what you do? - Your amazing, I am in awe of you everyday :o)XOXO

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your a beautiful person Kate :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

Kate, you are truly a marvelous lady and an inspiration with your generosity. The world is truly better because of your presence :)

Thank you for my bracelet - it came while we were in Chicago, and I had the best time opening the package last night! It's is truly beautiful, and it brings a smile to my face when I look at it :)

You are terrific!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh kate ...how lovely...you brought a little tear to my eye. You are perfectly surrounded by beauty and friends!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home