kate5kiwis: swank style

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Monday, May 21, 2007

swank style

When you're seventeen, as D17 is, it's tricky to make Big Decisions About The Rest of Your Life. Next year, he'll probably head off to university... either three hours drive away, where the rest of the rellies reside... or two days drive (plus a boat trip across The Choppy Strait) away. No surprises which one I favour.

It's a large decision, "What will I be when I grow up?" I always wanted to be a teacher, which I became... and still am, of sorts. Hubby tried all sorts of stuff before landing in his adored profession.

Yesterday I found someone else who believes:
EVERYONE HAS A GIFT.
YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND IT
AND FOLLOW YOUR CALLING.
(Hilary Swank, in Marie Claire, May 2007)

Easier for some, and I assent that one's *calling* can change over the years, and be fused with other parts of one's life/others' lives. It's just difficult to watch as our seventeen year old begins to make The Big Decisions, especially as I still feel seventeen some days. It's hard to let go.

We needed some therapy today: how's these for *swank style* then...

our new shoe collection... OH YES, and the best part is that my silver strap wedges cost only $4.97, and they say *go crazy* which is one of my gorgeous brother's sayings...

Perhaps that can be our new seventeen-year-old mantra.


8 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

ooo, converse ^_^ I have a pair of those :P

2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D17 off to uni? Well, I certainly favour the 2 hour drive decision and not the one that involves a choppy strait (eek!). LOL!

Love, love the new shoe collection. The pink converse are right up my alley! :)

4:38 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

that is totally my dream collection of shoes: sneakers and sparkles!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you were teaching (in a school) Kate what year did you teach???

Only $4.97!!!! WOW!!!!

3:37 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

jen, i taught *year two* kiddos (six and seven year olds) for 2 1/2 years... it feels so long ago... it was long ago lol. D17 was nearly three when i came home to be a full time mummy, and i haven't looked back lol.

home educating is so different to the classroom. ours is about reading lots of stories snuggled up on the couch, and just *living* together... learning here is very organic and it just happens all the time.

in the classroom i spent a huge amount of time on administration. conversely, it's easy to tell when my kiddos are ready for "the next thing".. and we just go off and do it.

the quote at the top of my blog pretty much sums up my philosophy of education at a pre-teen age.
"Happy hearts and happy faces, happy play in grassy places. That was how, in ancient ages, children grew to kings and sages." R.L.STEVENSON

sorry about the essay... you must've pushed my button :o)

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate I homeschooled my daughter for 2.5 years then I went to ACE. I believe that the type of learning you are referring to still happens at kindys. I have my bachelor in early childhood education. In the last 6 months of my degree I got preggy with Daniel. I would like to get registered but its very hard to leave my little one. I love being a SAHM but I will have to do something about in the next 6 months or I will run out of time.

5:32 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

jen
my D17 was born in the august of my last year at ACE. it was very, very hard to leave my 5-month-old beautiful baby and go teaching full time the following year to become a registered teacher. thankfully he went to the ACE creche where there were a bunch of wonderful people who became just like our extended family in the end.

i have a couple of girlfriends who successfully took their littlies to early childhood centre/kindergarten *with them* while they became registered. perhaps that would work for you and daniel??

interesting that you say the type of learning you are referring to still happens at kindys... my friend carol has talked *early childhood puilosophy* with me a few times and it does seem to be similar to mine.

in real life, i swing from the "just let them play/learn/discover the world..." style to "gosh, we'd better get out the maths book. where is it??"

lol

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a wonder, Kate! A wonderful wife, mum, and friend.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home