kate5kiwis: snippets and snapshots

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

snippets and snapshots

i've received comments and emails lately, wondering if, in fact, our life is *really* this beautiful???
er, *why* do i blog??
i was gonna save this post for my blogthday/blogiversary in april 2007, but i've found my muse today instead:

it started out as a photo album, to force myself to negotiate the digital camera, because i have four years of family photos languishing under my bed (the word *scrapbooking* makes me cringe).

and so i mostly stick with familystuff, and don't bother blogging my soul here. i save that for other people's blogs lol...
so, it's the quirky stuff, the funny stuff, the things i wanna remember that appear here.
kinda like my dad's *black book*. sort of a memo to self. snippets and snapshots of the things that we love. milestones. poetry. special love-messages to my kids and friends. and (special treat) *you* get to open the window and see into my heart too.

i've always been a journals person; i have journals for each of my kids that i write special things in, i have books that i write letters in and post, and then they get written in and posted back (hi nik and nic and becki!!). i even have a dreams book that i stick ideas and jewellery pictures and "i wanna go to paris" articles in.. and then i close my eyes and hold my breath and watch them come true.
so, stevie nicks' inspiring words make sense to me:
I tell people all the time that they should keep a journal, even if it's just, 'I had a terrible day today and I don't want to talk about it, love Stevie,' or 'I dreamt last night...' Even if it's just three sentences because at the end of five or six days, you would have created a habit and you will find that over a month that you have a whole story growing. Whether it's just for your own memories, so you can go back at any age, or if you are a writer or a singer, or some part of the creative business. You can be creative ~ anyone can be creative if they want to ~ you just have to want to.

my personal challenge this month (i hate new year's reso's that don't last past Jan 3) is to download the whole nine or so months of The Gang's blogged 2006 and arrange it into a clearfile to keep in the lounge as a family record of our unashamedly beautiful life.
and to do my pilates dvds (hi leighleigh and raych and rach).


while we're talking about blogs, i have noticed that this week (well, maybe it was last week?) in the blogosphere, it's international de-lurking week.
which is where *you* get to leave *me* a wee comment.. i promise it's not going to hurt.. if you don't have a blogger account, then just click "other" and say hi.. surprise me.. just poke your head in a give a little wave.
it's just a jump to the left... and a click to the right...


and now i'll get back to bloggin' our fab family's funny and freaky stuff lol

15 Comments:

Blogger Chewy Mom said...

I enjoy your blog a ton! You seem to live a dream life and take dream vacations! I'd love to know you in real life!skbbdss

2:58 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

I love reading about your life too! You're an inspiration! I've got a few fun things planned out for this month, and I'm trying to find more fun things to do. On the other hand, I didn't take one step out of the house today and I was perfectly happy with that! But then the weather was really yucky today.

I challenge you to do your pilates dvds! :) I have a similar dvd with a big exercise ball. I'm trying to alternate days with it and with riding an exercise bike. I'll do it if you will!

4:25 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

chewymom
now i'm singing that song:
life could be a dream...
hello, hello again, sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again...

we sang it in music class at teacher's college, so many moons ago!!
sheesh, flashbacks xP
and. no. i'm not. that. old.

barb
game on!!!!!!!
*blush* it's half past five and i'm still in my PJs. grey and rainy here today too (hate admitting that)... hubby has taken three little boys out to the cinema and i am buzzing on two espressos which i downed during a surprise visit with a girlfriend this arvo. she was fully dressed.....

5:39 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I think im gonna go make one of those 'would it kill you to comment' pictures ;) i LOVE getting comments too :P

5:02 AM  
Blogger Marie N. said...

Hi!

Gotta love the comment lady's hat! But then, I'm a hat person.

At first I wondered what ever I might blog about if I started a blog. Then I realized anything I find to write about my kids might be fun for my grandchildren to read about. Over the Christmas and New Year holidays the Quipper was trying to figure out how to save them on CDs.

7:51 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

the reasons you have to write your blog are exactly why I love your blog...its a breath of fresh air, its a nice happy place to come to, you love Paris just like I do, you celebrate the joys of life which I try to do too and I love getting a glimpse of life in NZ so FAR away from Canada ;)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

I did my exercise dvd today! ;) Woo hoo, one day down!

12:38 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

emily
yeah i do love that old lady. she is definitely in touch with her hidden evil genius lol

marie
my dad has been compiling our family's genealogy way back to the year dot. and the other day he showed us a whole album full of photos of people in our family: except that we only know the names of about a third of them.
now, thanks to bloggers anonymous, not only will our grandchildren's grandchildren know who we are, they'll know the state of our brains as well.

twinmom
ah, bonjour ma belle amie!!! oh, alright, i'll do a francais friday this week. i am seriously running out of photos though!!!

barb
me too: last night, and do you know: i'm really looking forward to doing mine today too: i am starting to feel stronger in the abs region. soon i'll look like james bond.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I love your smiles and your blog. My blog started as more work than home but it has migrated and I am happy cause now i enjoy keeping it up. So keep on.........I love checking in.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh sweetie!!! See this is why we blog..( as you know I do't but kinda wish I do with all your inspiration) That's exactly why...to inspire. You are fueled by those words honey and the very fact you have spun them together in a beautiful web of meranderings is just fabulous. I love the fact you live your life this way...so authentic!

1:46 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

maggie
thanks for the lurve!!!!!
suz
you are the coolest kiwi-aussie-chick i know. and we can't wait to see you this year !!!!!!!!! *kate does a little dance*

9:28 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

I love to hear your funny and freaky stuff!!! Keep it up!!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog! xxxooo

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checked out your blog, man thats so cool, if only I had the patience to do that stuff. I did try to comment, but got scared that I would make a boo boo.... no idea but wanted you to know that you are doing such a cool job journalling girl... and I promise that in the first week at our new beach house I will disappear to the beach with our little pink journal and think. And write. And even post it on the very same day. Its a promise. I remember sitting on the beach reading it after you returned from a few days in Aussie, man you wrote so vividly I felt like I was there.... drinking the wine and eating the yummy food.
Lotsaluv, nik

Gotta luv the 5 year olds!! And thanks for the visual image of F. in speedos, I think...

12:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so how do i get one of those groovie necklaces? are they for men too?

Need soemthing new to sharpen up my image especially since I have emerged from the Cambodian jungles and am back in hip swingin NZ

From Toleury

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home