kate5kiwis: francais friday

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Friday, September 08, 2006

francais friday



Oui oui, ce sont les escargots.. ooh la la!!!
Hubby and I really *did* eat snails when in Paris.. they arrived sizzling and completely drowned in garlic butter and the report is that they tasted like *rubber chicken*.
strange but true...
and I'm also ecstatic to report that my schoolgirl french allowed us to communicate tres bien in Paris...
though Hubby kept asking me: what does that say/mean?
and I would mostly think:
je ne sais pas, moi...
and mostly whenever I asked les Francais a question, they'd answer with a tirade of french, to which I'd shrug and then we'd work it out in *franglais*.... with lots of gestures...
but once, I tried my perfectly practised sentence and mademoiselle
immediately answered me in english... *blush*.. so much for my twenty-year-old schoolgirl french, je trouve!!
c'est la vie...

5 Comments:

Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

It frustrated me terribly in Salzburg when I asked a question in German and was answered in English! That was in college in my fifth year of studying German, too! (NO, I did not take five years to get through college ;) )

Hee hee, I had to translate lots for my hubby in Germany and Austria as well. The best was the night we went to a Spanish restaurant. Once the waiter knew I spoke Spanish, we spoke Span-man/Germish? the rest of the evening, and poor hubby was totally confused!

Nice cleavage, girl! ;)

11:38 AM  
Blogger twinmomplusone said...

great picture of you! va-va voum mama!

as for snails, no thank-you!

3:01 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Ahh snails in France! I am salivating at the thought of the escargots, but double the salivation when made in France.

How fun that you were able to use your French. I find here in Canada that if your French isn't quite up to par they just switch to English.

Great photos of the two of you.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Silver Creek Mom said...

Great Pictures.

I've had snails but not my favorite at all. But let me ask the most inportant question about France...How were the Wineries?

;)

12:42 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

bonjour SCmom
well, hubby and i only spent *two days* in Paris....
*kate falls off chair wondering how she is going to continue the FRANCAIS FRIDAYS for very much longer*
and i must say that on the tourist crawl, the wine and food was disappointing. not what i expected AT ALL.
warm beer and cold red wine?????
so weird for a cultured new zealander....

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home