kate5kiwis: spring is (nearly) sprung

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

spring is (nearly) sprung



on the way home in the car today, J10 grinned and said, "It's such a wonderful nearly-spring day! The sun is shining all warm on my face!!"
Yes, it really is!! fresh and clear, and s-u-n-n-y..


we made spring-branch-blossom bracelets out of fishing line and teeny tiny beads..
they look just like branches pushing their spring buds out..


i have something rather weird going on with my camera though, it only takes clear photos at very-close-range: if i try to take a photo of something further than 2 centimetres away, it looks like we're looking through water...

i hope hubby can figure it out before i have the urge to fix it with my hammer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marie N. said...

Good luck with the camera! The beadwork looks nice, though.

I don't unschool at all at this time. I'm lookig forward to some unknown time (perhaps 5th grade) when my daughter can do most of her work on her own and supplement her texts with the tons of wonderful books my mom spent years collecting. This year I'll find out how much my eldest can do on her own as much of my attention will be on preschool and kindergarten with her little brother.

12:36 AM  
Blogger SarahJane said...

oooh, spring-branch-blossom bracelets! those are nice.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Those bracelets are lovely! They do look like spring blossoms!

Do you have the "macro" setting set on your camera? That might explain your problem.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful! I love spring!

9:27 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

Thanks, chicks, for the love... actually, J10 made the complicated one.. I suggested to him that maybe he will be a jeweller one day, and please note that Mummy loves diamonds!!!

Marie, I love the freedom of home schooling. We've been around the block a few times trying different things over the years.. and I realise now, that it's all hinged on my journey with Life's Big Questions.
I (having been "trained" as a classroom teacher) still wrangle with the philosophy that education is something that we DO to a child (which is necessary in a classroom context: so many kids, so little time!), rather than trusting their innate desire for knowledge and love of learning and life. Kids are natural sponges.. "unschooling", to me, means letting them explore the world on their own, and direct their own learning. I'm not a radical unschooler, though.. hubby is a teacher, so I do buy a "maths text" each year, for each of the kiddos, just to check they're on track.. they're all a year ahead. It just happens, even with my slack direction of a page a day... week..
Now to practise the handwriting..

Blah, blah.. I do love this journey, thankful that we're doing it.

Barb, hubby mumbled something about *macros* too... but we haven't yet found *the button*..
Well, if there can be no arrangement, then it seems we are at an impasse. The camera can't compete with me physically, and I'm no match for its brains...

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home