kate5kiwis: This Boy

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Saturday, October 04, 2008

This Boy

Well, it's ten past ten at night here, and This Boy and I have spent the best part of the last hour snuggled up with the light blue suedey-fluff throw rug and half a bag of pineapple lumps on the couch; poring over library books about guitar history and famous musicians and technical know-how of polishing and filing various guitar parts, and discussing which of his friends and musicians owns which type of guitar; and rather more specifically, lusting after the Fender Stratocaster - towards which This Boy is saving every one of his paper-delivery-boy-pennies.

He's mooching off towards his quilted bed now, and as he kisses me goodnight, he looks at me earnestly and says, "You know, Mum, my favourite thing to do is play my guitar. It's my life." to which I teasingly reply, "Except kissing Mummy," and he looks deep into my soul and says, "Sometimes even more than that."

Which it possibly is. This Boy, who spent the whole of last year avoiding my Public Displays of Affection, has this year become very comfortable with initiating hugs and kisses and iLOVEyous with me again. This Recently Turned Eleven Boy has a style all his own - wearing his sister's cast-off black skinny jeans with his friend's hand-me-down white linen shirt, and a tie from the seventies dress-ups collection to his birthday party in the forest; completing the look with an old brown leather jacket and sunglasses, and his heely skate shoes. This Boy is as comfortable turning flips every which way on the trampoline as he is with a new-found delight in Encyclopedia Brown mysteries. This Boy has depth and resonance and stability and passion, and gentleness and serenity and all around hip coolness.

Oh, he's sneaked out of bed again and is now soaking up a music video with Daddy - it's Guns'n'Roses' Paradise City which, incidentally, has been on our car airwaves all week. And they're chatting all rock stuff and muso stuff and style tips and the snake-move - "The coolest move in the whole world," says This Boy. And now his sister has joined in. "They even have Emo Fringes," she says, aghast. "Well, Bemo." Daddy looks up foncusedly, "They call them 'bemos' if they're blonde?" and as she nods I wonder at our totally different worlds, and whether his parents' unteenageyness will estrange This Boy during his next ten years? And the words immediately float in to my head, "Actually, no." This Boy'll continue to share the most-loved parts of his world with us. Like guitars and rock music. And hugs with Mummy too, I hope.


11 Comments:

Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

It's great to be able to share stuff with our kids. I love learning about dance with the Dancer and hearing the Equestrienne talk about what she's learning about horses. What we don't get around here is our daughters' predilection for texting on their phones non-stop. We had to get the unlimited text-messaging phone plan, and have the Equestrienne tell her friend absolutely no texting after 9 PM.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

I love this post, Kate. There is so much negative stuff out there in the blogosphere about kids and being a parent, that it's easy to start believing that parenting is a miserable, thankless task. Posts like this are a welcome reminder to take joy in our own unique kids.

This Boy of yours and my Jesse could totally bond over the guitar-thing. Jesse and Owen argue about Metal and Grunge: "Metallica stinks!" "No, Nirvana does!" Jesse is all about Ibanez guitars right now, because Dragonforce has them, and he got one for his birthday. Also, there is a Buckethead concert here in a week or two, and he loves Buckethead.

I feel like I'm speaking in a foreign language I barely understand. Um, Slash? Well,Herman Li. Ha! Buckethead! Who? What?

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that boy. Miss him madly...What a rockstar....can I shoot his first album cover?

8:34 AM  
Blogger Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

what a lovely way to spend an hour - pineapple lumps and books :)

Jen

9:08 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

What a beautiful post, your young man sounds really rather LOVELY..... I love cuddling up on the couch with my kids and have recently been wondering how long Kalem (7 almost 8) will want to do this with me. You have such a wonderful family, your blog ALWAYS makes me smile... XX

11:25 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Sorry me again........... forgot to say FABULOUS necklace in the last post B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

What a beautiful post, and what a beautiful relationship you have with him, Kate. I always love to read about your children because they are such self-assured and warm-hearted kids. You are such a respectful parent, and your children are the proof of that :)

1:40 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

MMMMM this makes me warm all over... knowing "this boy" and having a lovely connection with him myself, it makes me smile and gives me hope that my boy, who is much like "this boy" will still share his life, hopes and dreams with me and stay friends with me, long after he needs me as his mum. Yum yum post, thank you for stirring this lovely feeling up for me xx

8:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

This Boy is growing up and growing up well...

8:41 PM  
Blogger Nova said...

mmm blankies & pineapple lumps.. sounds poifect!

and heh heh good choice that boy! i've only got a squire strat cos that's the best i could manage *sigh* ;)

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This. This was such a lovely post. I heart "little" boys.
a.

3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home