kate5kiwis: COLD TURKEY

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Monday, June 19, 2006

COLD TURKEY

*s-m-a-s-h*
I hope things really do come in threes.

#1 It started yesterday when hubby made the dash for freshly roasted coffee beans, but the shop was shut. Only other option: starbucks. He forgot that Mum and Dad had just brought our coffee grinder back, so got the chick to grind the beans for our espresso machine.
Hubby arrived home and happily produced the offering. Unfotunately the beans were ground too fine, and the coffee couldn't come through the machine. So I phoned starbucks straight away, and the nice lady apologised and offered to courier some fresh coffee out by tomorrow. Can my addiction wait that long??

#2 I looked over at the espresso machine (which, incidentally, I had been singing the praises of just last week, when my friend Nik asked me if I'd ever replace it with a real italian job? Oh, no, I'd said) ..and I noticed that water was leaking out of the bottom of the machine.. I looked inside and realised that a part had snapped inside, where the water reservoir fits. The screws had perhaps been too tightly fitted during manufacture, and now the little-black-thingy had broken.

So I got up this morning and phoned the 0800 helpline, and explained about the broken machine, thinking that it'll be a wee while to replace the broken part, and perhaps I could get my espresso addiction under control by weaning first to french pressed coffee and then to herbal tea before our departure to Europe in two weeks??
but

#3 as I was putting away my large saucepan, I accidentally bumped my bodum coffee press onto the floor.
hence the *s-m-a-s-h*.

I feel a caffeine deprivation headache coming on..

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babe, bummer about the BODUM. I will try to bring one home from work for ya. I can relate to the caffeine deprivation though. Great to be able to keep in touch with "your world".
Love
F

5:40 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

dahling
*you* are at the centre of my world..
come h-o-m-e !!!!!
:o) smooch smooch xx

5:57 PM  
Blogger The Rubbish Project said...

oh how awful
hang on i will just go make a pot of vietnamese coffee to make you feel better
can you smell it?

love you fluffkin

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just *knew* I shoulda called in to yours while waiting for the three oldies to finish tennis (in the rain, if you please!). That would have given me something to do - help you with your caffeine drought. Then I'm thinking maybe it was better not to have seen you in that kind of a state, you know the old adage, remember them in a good light and all that jazz. Hope life improves for you - I can dust off and drop off my Krups (German, not Italian though) espresso machine for ya in the interim if you want? Let me know before drama.

8:52 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

Deb
:o) dahling you are da bomb
but now that I’ve been thirty nine and a half hours without coffee ;o)
I feel I really need to sort my addiction before UK in case I can’t afford to spend *pinds and pinds* on my habit over there :o)
So I think it’ll be less tempting if I have *no coffee* here lol
(oh dear, I feel like Bree… do you watch Desperate Housewives??)
I said to F, no worries, I’ll just take ibuprofens until I feel better. . .

flower
what exactly is vietnamese coffee like?? i have actually found a new coffee supplier here cos my old-fave has moved to an unaccessible place... like 14 mins from home instead of 6 mins.. the new guy roasts and blends it all in the back of a "garage" in town, and they took my kiddos on an impromptu tour last week.. we learned that coffee seeds come from a "cherry" and then the green seeds kinda roast like popcorn. they get bigger and turn brown.
..you probably already knew all that!!

8:20 AM  
Blogger BeachMama said...

Had to give up caffeine once, it was the longest month of my life. The headaches finally went away when I got my caffeine back again.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home