kate5kiwis: whoever the bureaucrat was that decided to stick thirty kiddos in one classroom needs a smack upside the head.

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

whoever the bureaucrat was that decided to stick thirty kiddos in one classroom needs a smack upside the head.

i have decided that teaching is like having a newborn baby - one day is awesome and the next is a write-off. cos yesterday was amazing. it happened that i only had seventeen kiddos in the maths class and by the end of the lesson most understood y = mx + c and how to tell where the y-intercept is and working out the gradient.

but this morning half of them needed it re-explained. so much for my teaching skillz. so it was a bit uproarious cos i kept switching kids around so i could ability group them and they got all unsettled. added to that the thirteen of yesterday's absent kiddos who needed yesterday's lesson taught today and one said he hates this maths class because i am the Homework Police and last term's teacher let them play maths games on fridays. the thing is, i am so concerned that everyone 'gets it' before we move to the next thing. even then, it turns out that my time frame is just too slow and we needa mooooove on from algebra to geometry within the fortnight at the latest. are you kidding? how the heck will they ace the post-test?

not coping with that at all.

the next class was a total disaster cos we had an epic computer failure - the access to the super-cool interactive blog i'd set up for us was denied and POOF! there went our super-cool interactive ICT lesson. so i had to suddenly wing it with chalk and talk. total *head bash* moment. ended up switcherooing to poster-making in groups. jeez louise. and another teacher walked in on the ensuing chaos and i felt like a complete nah-nah. hello? the door is l-o-c-k-e-d lol.

need a leetle coffee. or maybe a hip flask.

but there was a little sparkle in my day today. one of my science lads who is rather boisterous and finds it difficult to walk past peeps without giving them 'the nudge' had a brilliant science lesson. and i told him so. big pffft moment was when he brought his DIY word find to me to test me on his rather creative clues - 'these are all brainy people, miss' - who split the atom? who yelled eureka and jumped out of the bath? who's the best science teacher at our skool? yeah, total cape moment X

6 Comments:

Anonymous Erin said...

Omigosh. I don't know how teachers do it. What a shame there isn't some magic that let you homeschool style it in the classroom. Hope it gets better... although I'm sure you're fantastic already!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Ruta M. said...

I think you're so brave teaching the older kids anyway. I'm happy to stick to the little ones who generally think their teachers are wonderful and who can be quietened in an instant with the magic phrase 'Now who shall I choose to ....?' Enjoy your good days and before long you will have a stock of strategies for engaging the kids. I've taken a break from my NZ job hunting and will start up again when my back is sorted but somehow I think that it's not going to happen.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Hay said...

I'm for the hip flask!

8:19 PM  
Blogger oacemama said...

Oh Katie, I hear you...my days are like that too...yaay for the little sparkles...Mine last week was when my Mr Oppositional yelled out "Holy Crap, this is awesome" with a smile during our drumming rhythm lesson...the teacher next door gave me evils though cos it was LOUD as we drummed and sang We will rock you...

8:33 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I think teaching is one of those professions where every single day is a test... for both the teachers and the kids. Big cheer for you for tackling it head-on.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

Oh yeah... those days. The bang-your-head-against-the-wall days. I have those too. Perfectly planned lessons and then nothing goes right. Remember the cape moment, the rest doesn't matter xxx

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home