kate5kiwis: random text

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Saturday, June 06, 2009

random text

is it just me, or is everyone noticing how the english language is doing a huge metamorphosis? for example. the word "okay" - in my teenage kids' texts has gone from "ok" to "kk" to "k" to "ohk" and today i got "awk"...
and the other thing is that there's a lot of switcheroos going on with adjectives and verbs and nouns - like "text" and "random" -
teen: "oh, mum, it was just some random texting me."
katie: "you mean a random PERSON sending you a TEXT?"
teen: *raises eyebrow*
(oh, and people don't know the correct use of capital letters any more either lol)
i think we need to listen to Eats, Shoots & Leaves in the kitchen while we're cooking dinner... love that idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, and not being the fabulous Ralph, but someone rather more verbose, i filled in the word gaps on yesterday's post - more of my usual thinking aloud and self analysis etc, cos i'm a navel gazer like that. thanks for the feedback, you gorgeous people - oh and Hay, you'll be relieved to know that each "printed" (other) supermarket bag is sandwiched between two "unprinted" countdown bags - now will ya gimme an A plus?
hahahahahahahahaha
*vizzini falls off his perch* X


10 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

If I got an "awk" in a text I'd assume the sender was choking on a gobstopper...

The elasticity of language is endlessly fascinating though...

7:30 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
James Nicoll

Heh. I love that quote.


Well, language isn't static -- it is always morphing, growing and changing. Keeps things interesting! I think I'll make up some words today! :D

Oh! I have a parody of that book: "Eat's, Shites & Leaves: Crap English and How to Use It".

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to listen to the audio of the book whilst I was cooking. It always made us chuckle.

My children use "random" all the time at the moment - in almost every sentence. It's very amusing. I have started using "well" in the wrong way - as a qualifier ie well funny.

I never wrote OK as okay though. Never knew that was the correct way.

But my English is well rubbish.

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL @ Laura's comment!

My mum was an English major, so slang or incorrect grammar was immediately stamped out!

I cannot speak 'text' to save my life! It hurts my brain to try and discover what the heck they're saying! :)

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness my friend. My brain is nearly exploding thinking about all these concepts.
- me thinks you think too much.

Ohhh I really need some help on the blogging - I am so basic!

Love you
x

7:27 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

steve
yeah, lol, actually i was driving at the time and sam read out the text from raych to me - and he had no idea what it said either lol X

laura
your quote is so freaking awesome. am gonna search the library for that book, if i can get over that apostrophe X

r.b.
oh well, you know... "english is well dry!"
hahahahaha <3 catherine tate.
glad you saw my *wave* about your listening to the book vibe X

sarah
lol - my mum is The World Authority on all things language and grammar too - i blame - er, THANK - her for my obsession lol. X

auntie thoooothie
methinks i miss you too much. here's the confession - we haven't opened the wine box yet cos i am terrified i'm gonna break the glasses. and now i've anti-jinxed that, i'm getting them out tomorrow!
love you X

9:13 PM  
Blogger Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Ha! The apostrophe is mine. Now how did that get in there?:)

My mom was an English major and teacher, too, but I got over the obsessing and perfectionism. Lots of people with terrific, A-plus grammar and spelling can't write worth crap. And some great writers rely on a good copy editor, which is why that is even a real job. Ha!

As an artist, it might be like someone who can stretch a canvas and tell you the chemical properties of the paint and how to mix a perfect sky blue, but has nothing inside to express on his perfect canvas.

If you have something wonderful to express, concentrate on what you need to say. Grammar and spelling can be a distraction from what's really important about creating.

I admire your texting skilz. Mark and Mer are the only texters here. I would totally suck at texting.

3:10 AM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

lol laura
my admission is that i insist on texting in whole words.

egads X

9:36 AM  
Blogger Kate, Katy, Katarina said...

You should try texting in your second language!! Many a faux pas to be made! Or even texting in English to people for whom it is THEIR second language - that has also caused a great deal of humour!!! I am afraid I have had to revert to texting complete and (mostly) real words to avoid further embarrassment!!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

What I love is that "okay" sets off my spellcheck, but not "boogieing" or "schlepping".

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home