kate5kiwis: mind games

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Friday, April 13, 2012

mind games

i haven't had much time for the blogworld of late. since bloglines quit on me and my rss feeds went south and i started teaching in the classroom and my blog community and i went to facebook, i've hesitated to upload my head here.

it's hard to put the jedi mind whammy on sharing my soul here: i feel it's not particularly professional to post vignettes/pics of the charges in my classroom-care.. we have a class blog for that. also, since my previous subject matter went to skool, they're at the point in their lives where i value their privacy more than my desire to blog every second of our happy existence. plus at the end of the day, i'm all emotional-creativitied out.

but in the past two days i've come across
this blog, and the question was asked, what crazy, absolutely pointless, and downright fun games do you make up with your kids?

and i remembered this little space, and then i missed it.

so i wrote:
"three games come to mind (we have teens)
1. the movie lines game: someone surreptitiously drops a movie line into the convo at which the conversee grins and says the next line in the movie. it started many years ago with the best movie of all time (the princess bride) and has just evolved..


2. someone says a word... usually prefaced by "you're a... (silly monkey)" then everyone spontaneously joins in the convo by offering a word that rhymes with the last syllable of that word.. tree.. sea... bee... pee... (it's a bit like your poop game)..

3. the song lyrics game: someone unwittingly says something that reminds the conversee/s of a song lyric, which they grinningly say/sing... then someone else offers a song lyric with the same word in it... a very merry christmas, and a happy new year... mary had a little lamb... old king cole was a merry old soul... etc
totally love the spontaneous games that make each family so unique, so special."

and i really do. so i wrote a few thoughts for this weekend, the culmination of twenty-three years walking together: yep, it's our wedding anniversary again. this year we've bought two ukuleles to mark the occasion: even though the harmonies of our songs are changing, we're still singing the lyrics loudly in unison.


sam's iTunes: hammock-time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Flossy said...

We flew over your place last night! Currently chilling on a perfect beach. Congrats on the anniversary, that's an impressive lot of years ;-)

I love what you wrote - the not-blogging part, you've put into words exactly how I've been feeling. I have a class-space too plus my kids are too old to have their mother bragging about them all over the internet plus I think my life is pretty boring anyway plus my energy has run out. Goneburger.

I think I'll just sit on this perfect beach a little while longer and drink my mojitos.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

CONGRATULATIONS :)

cool photo

interesting games :)

10:08 AM  
Blogger beckstar said...

i love it, made my heart sing a little xxx

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home