kate5kiwis: E.B.N.

kate5kiwis

“If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth.” — Mitsugi Saotome

Saturday, April 22, 2006

E.B.N.

My Gran died last night. She was ninety-three. As Dad says, “She has had a good innings.” Gran came to live with our family when I was eight, and my dad built her a special granny-flat downstairs. It was so cool to be always welcome to “pop down to Gran’s”.

Gran, you were such a gentle matriarch, a beacon of feminism. You’re so independent, but very involved behind the scenes, and such a support to my working mum and dad- getting all the washing in, and weeding and watering the veggies.. and you were always home when we came in from school. I remember lots of cups of tea upstairs, cryptic crosswords with Mum, and you going to university during your ‘retirement’ !!
I loved the times when you’d ooh and ahh over my teen sewing creations; you were always available to listen, occasionally passing on a piece of sage advice, but never pressing your views. I remember being at home, sick with a cold when I was little, and you made me mushroom soup for lunch! I still have a love affair with soup.
And as my own babies arrived, they grew up on “popping down to Gran’s” for a chat and a little watch of the telly. Thanks for being so available.

You had a dry, yet hilarious sense of humour, often coming up with a witty rhyme or remark.. you kept us smiling.

It was during Mum and Dad’s stay with us this week, as Mum and I were sewing together, that we got a phone call from your wonderful nurse, explaining that you were ready to go. Mum talked to you on the phone and gave you all of our love. You passed during the night.
I am happy for you and the memories we have. Thank you for being such a huge part of our lives and imparting a strong sense of Girl Power to me. You were a “keeper of the faith”. I pray that I will pass on the baton too.

7 Comments:

Blogger MadMuse said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. She seems to have really made an impression in your life and I envy that. Both my grandmothers were a bit reserved and distant, products of their generation. It's great that you have beautiful memories and that your kids have their own of her. She will live on.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Lillyma said...

Thanks for the comment on my xanga blog (ParadoxWoman). I was very close to my grandma, too, and she was a second mother to me. She passed away 3 years ago now. I only wish I could grow up to be such a strong and gentle person as she was. Sounds like you have wonderful memories of your Gran.

2:19 PM  
Blogger The Paces said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I prayed for you all as I stopped and looked at your pics of your beautiful family. You are blessed! May you all be comforted at this time, and may all your memories of your g'ma point you all to thoughts of the Lord and heaven and how beautiful it will all be then. What you wrote here was really beautiful. Peace to you all! ~~P

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kate,
Thanks for your comment. I truly believe that mistakes are your own worst guilt trips (and there is reasoning for that, I am sure of it). And knowing from experiance I hate that. Well come visit soon. Oh and I love your own words of wisdom and I am so very sorry about your Gran, I lost my father last year of cancer and if you ever need anyone I am here. Big hug to you and try to enjoy your days.
Jodi

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweetheart...these are truly lovely thoughts of your wonderful relationship! How fabulous to have those to treasure!
The quilt you have been making with your Mum is so precious for you.. I know you will treasure it and always have a piece of "gran" in it :)
Love you
Suz

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog words are beautiful. a very fitting tribute. I too have very fun memories of her, as gentle and self-contained, kind and strong. I love you babe..

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetheart

Just a quickie to say that we're thinking of you all... I thought your Gran was lovely, I'm so pleased to have met her.

We really loved looking at your blog, I thought the piece about Edna was brilliant - you're such a good writer girl. And we loved seeing pics of the kids - just how we think of them, full of life and bounding around.

With lot's of love to everyone this weekend.

xx Em

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home